NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Salt Water Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-18, 05:11 PM   #1
DavidEdens
NGTO Sponsor

Default St. Simons Fishing; Report on Mexico Bonefish

Here is an excerpt from my latest Newsletter talking about Red Fishing in the Golden Isles. Also, I just returned from Casa Viejo Chac with 5 other fanatic fly fishermen, so I included a link to the Google Album so you can see some of the photos.

The Great Mexico Fishing Adventure: February 10-16, 2018
On February 10 six adventurous fly fishing fanatics departed on a Fishing Safari to Casa Viejo Chac for six days fly fishing. Casa Viejo Chac is a locally owned lodge in Punta Allen, Mexico about 4 1/2 hours south of Cancun. It is located in the San Kian preserve on Ascension Bay. The Preserve is listed as a World Heritage site, and is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. This is my 3rd trip to Casa Viejo Chac.

Coffee was available at 6:00, Breakfast at 7:00 and every morning about 8 AM we would leave the lodge in 22 foot Pangas with two anglers and two guides. Some people targeted Permit, some Bone Fish and Permit, some Baby Tarpon and some Snook. Most of us asked the guides to put us on large Bone Fish with a possibility of shots at Permit. On average, most of us caught 6-8 good size Bone Fish a day. Several of us had good shots at Permit, several follows, but no takes. One Snook was landed and no baby tarpon. Unbelieveable as it may sound, one day one boat with two anglers landed over 60 good size bonefish.

The guides had us back by 5:00. Apres fishing, we sat around outside in 80 degree weather snacking on ceviche, guacamole, chips, and pico de gallo. All of this was washed down by cold cerveza and Margaritas. We swapped stories about fish caught, fish lost and what flies seemed to be working best. Dinner was served at 7:00, and most of us were dead asleep by 9:30. A St. Simons chef describes the food as some of the best he had ever had at a lodge.

A fine time was had by all. I have reserved February 9-16 2019 for another fishing Safari to Casa Viejo Chac. Here is a link to the Google Album of the
If you are interested in going onthis Fishing Safari next February, please get in touch with me. I will begin taking reservations immediately.

There is also a short report on fly fishing the Golden Isles of Georgia. It has been so cold and windy lately, I have only been out a few times since returning from Mexico.
Golden Isles of Georgia Fishing Report
We had a huge Full Moon morning tide the last week of February. With water temps in the high 60's at that time, I thought the fiddlers might be active and the red fish tailing in the Spartina grass. Unfortunately, we did not spot any tails on the trip, but I had reports of some people seeing a number of fish. Now the water temperature is back down in the high 50's I don't expect to see any tailing fish until late April. If we get a push of warm weather, it may happen again in March, but right now March blows.

The few times I have been out, I have found large schools of red fish on the low tide. At times, these fish seem to be very moody and just want to sit on the bottom. They seem to become more active on the incoming tide, and I had a client connect on a puppy drum and a large 11 lb red. The 11 lb red took him well into the backing and it took about 10 minutes to land this bruiser.

I have had reports of some nice trout being caught, but have not fished for them myself.

If you just want to catch fish, fish for Whiting. They are biting well and some nice fish are being caught. They don't freeze well, but make a terrific fish fry when you cook them fresh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill's Bruiser.jpg (70.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg slick day and Sidney Lanier Bridge.jpg (25.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Puppy Drum, Feb 2017.jpg (53.7 KB, 24 views)
www.flycastcharters.com
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide
DavidEdens is offline   Reply With Quote