NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-18, 11:06 AM   #11
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
In my experience, Tenkara mostly appeals to hipsters and to n00bs who are seduced by the promise of never having to learn how to actually cast a fly rod. Basically, it's a loser's lunch of marketing hype and shortcuts for people who lack the skill to fly fish.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 11:23 AM   #12
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
There's nothing that can be done with a tenkara rod that can't be done better with a traditional fly rod. Thi is why the industry sells tenkara by promoting "simplicity," "authenticity" and other weasealy marketing BS; there's no way to compare on the merits.
Fit your czech nymphing rod in a fanny pack.

Edit:
I won't say tenkara is superior to Western style flyfishing.... I don't believe it is. I will say it offers some benefits over flyfishing. If you don't like it, ok, cool. I will say, you can get immensely good drifts with long tenkara rods. You can make a much longer tenkara rod than you could feasibly make a fly rod, the weight of a fly rod past 11 feet just adds up so fast.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters

Last edited by ferrulewax; 02-26-18 at 11:34 AM.
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 11:41 AM   #13
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Just curious. Why is a Japanese style of minimalist fly fishing becoming so popular here in the U.S.? Most Tenkara fishermen claim to be minimalists, but use expensive graphite telescoping rods. My thinking is that cane poles have been used in America for centuries, and they are as minimalist as it gets. Why spend so much money on a fancy graphite telescoping rod that is minimalist, supposedly, when you can use a tried and true cane pole for the same purpose and in the same way. Where is the benefit? I am curious about cane poles recently, and see it as a far superior option to fancy Tenkara rods. Do you guys and gals have any thoughts on the issue?
...I grew up in the 50's-60's...every bait store ,(and they were more plentiful back then), had concrete pipes standing on end at the end of the parking spots right in front of the store...filled with various length and size cane poles, (unrigged)...we used to rig them with 8-10 lb mono, a # 4 or 6 Aberdeen hook, and a split shot...with or without a bobber...a little heavy for bream, but you never knew when a big bass or cat might bite...

...I wish I had a nickel for every fish I caught on them...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 11:44 AM   #14
skimt127
Stocker

I own 4 tenkara rods in different lengths. I use them occasionally when I backpack. I have one that is about the size of a paper towel roll packed up. They have their place. Different strokes for different folks!
skimt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 11:48 AM   #15
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrulewax View Post
Fit your czech nymphing rod in a fanny pack.
My 11 wt with reel, 600 grain full sink, and a 6/0 T-Bone on the end weighs less than a pound. It's not going to break your arm to carry a rod in.

Quote:
Edit:
I won't say tenkara is superior to Western style flyfishing.... I don't believe it is. I will say it offers some benefits over flyfishing. If you don't like it, ok, cool. I will say, you can get immensely good drifts with long tenkara rods. You can make a much longer tenkara rod than you could feasibly make a fly rod, the weight of a fly rod past 11 feet just adds up so fast.
You can get a much longer drift using traditional line handling techniques than you can ever get from a fixed line setup (or a mono-rig/"euro" setup on a conventional fly rod, for that matter), it requires a more advanced skill set than just high sticking with a longer rod, but that just illustrates my point re: tenkara mostly being used as a substitute for casting and line handling skill.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 11:49 AM   #16
erikclymore
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
. It's like buying $6 pre-peeled oranges from Whole Foods... convenient? I guess. Worth it? I personally don't think so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tell me thatís not actually a thing?!?!

The only thing that has ever seriously appealed to me about Tenkara is the ability to hike with your entire rig in such a small package. Iíve been tempted on more than one occasion to purchase a cheap set up for this reason alone.
I have zero experience with it so I donít have a strong opinion either way.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 12:14 PM   #17
Brotherbear
Native

In John Geirachs book All Fisherman Are Liars he dedicates a whole chapter on the subject. One of America's best Fly fisherman gives his take on it.
Old 02-26-18, 12:18 PM   #18
mudrun
Native

Four things:

1. Pre-packaged/skinned/peeled/chopped fruits and vegetables are definitely a thing at Whole Foods and when you consider the constituency of a Whole Foods, a significant amount of the people under that curve honestly think paying a 200% markup for pre-pre'd anythings is worth it.

I periodically go into Whole Foods for their fish (ironically... ) and the last time I was there I watched a woman demand that her fish be steamed immediately, on premises, for an amount of time that would have starched a shipping container of dress shirts. I hope she enjoyed her shoe leather.

(every now and then you see "north georgia mountain trout" or some such thing in the whole foods fish counter and this makes me laugh - one day I will take a random buyer of trout into the woods with a rod, knife, and matches, and ruin trout for them forever)

B. I have never tenkara'd but I have a fond place in my heart for cane poles. My grandfather built a cabin on a lake and I used to spend summers with him there when I was a kid. He came home one day with some garden store bamboo leftovers and together we built rods from the designs in the American Boys Handy Book, including one with a tin can reel (he grew up during the depression and was highly skilled with his hands - the credit belongs to him). The kids whose parents paid thousands to rent a place at the bigger lake down the road used to laugh, but my cane pole rods destroyed warm ponds and the small lake to the point where I felt like Ozymandias: Look upon my cane poles, ye sunfish, and despair.

iii. Years later I inherited a beautiful bamboo fly rod from my great uncle. We don't know when he bought it, but we suspect it was in the 40s/50s... we also aren't sure what kind of cane it's made of. Tonkin cane is typically what the high end bamboo rods are made of, but access to that stuff has been restricted on and off for stretches of years due to government overthrow and instability in the part of the world from whence it comes ... it resides currently in the cabin my grandfather built, although since no one there uses it, maybe I'll bring it on down here this summer and can bring it to someone who understands these things and can tell me a bit about it. Its a nice rod, although the action takes some getting used to. I suspect that someone who is really skilled at fly fishing (I am really only marginally skilled and could use a lot of time with our friends at Unicoi Outfitters) would, after time and practice, come to prefer the cane rod for certain situations. All else aside, it's a new thing to master.

fourth: manufacturing rods out of cane and in particular fly rods is a pursuit that can become as sophisticated as you want to try ... the second summer at the cabin, my grandfather wrote the editors asking for rod plans from one of his woodworking magazines (remember these days?) and after receiving some diagrams back, we cut several slices out of cane, ground them down straight, glued them in pieces together, and made a reasonably sophisticated rod (without a reel so technically it was tenkara-esque?) and while its no comparison to the professionally produced bamboo fly rod, it looked and felt like a real pole.

One of the things I like most about fishing and general outdoors time is the constant patience and proficiency of building small things yourself from humble materials.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 12:29 PM   #19
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherbear View Post
In John Geirachs book All Fisherman Are Liars he dedicates a whole chapter on the subject. One of America's best Fly fisherman gives his take on it.
I'm sure he's a wonderful person, but as a writer, John Gierach is an insufferable hippie, and the Boomer Buddhist crap he promotes is, in my view, the very worst of fly fishing. I wish all these fake mystics would move on to other endeavors and stop kludging up the sport with their white boy Zen poses. Tenkara fits quite neatly into the bumper-sticker-slogan philosophical universe John Gierach inhabits, not to mention the self-referrential, financially backscratching professional universe he lives in.

Last edited by Dylar; 02-26-18 at 12:40 PM.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 12:46 PM   #20
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

My $.02: $100 is an expensive blue line rig. There's nothing wrong with that. My current combo is a Superfine with a Battenkill reel, which I love...but I also don't really do any hardcore blue lining anymore.

It's different strokes for different folks. If you are catching them legally, the rest is personal preference. I don't particularly see the appeal of Tenkara, especially for blue lines, but I used to get weird looks for fishing a 5' cane rod. As Durniak once told me, "If we're lucky, we'll all end up just like we started; in diapers catching bream on a zebco 33".

I think Kyle's post was a serious attempt to understand the appeal of a different type of angling. Some of the posts since then are downright hostile towards anybody that does things differently. If we're going to play that game, I think you are all crazy for using rods somebody else made to catch trout that were born in a glorified lab...

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote