NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-18, 12:59 PM   #1
Philhutch80
Native

Default Chattooga River Round Two All to Myself!!!

I am falling more in love with fishing freestone streams again. It is such a different and challenging way to become a better fishermen. Different tactics apply when fishing a freestone vs a tailwaters for sure but dissecting a river and finding the fish is similar. This time I went in again due to time constraints and hiked for a good 30min before wetting a line. I was rewarded with seeing some very zen like things that nature created while I was hiking in...

It's amazing how one small rock and a mountain laurel leaf can create something so simple and beautiful!
I kept hiking and decided I would stop and take some photos as I had a couple folks asking why I did not have trail/stream pics. Well here you go folks!

This river just keeps astounding me on macro and micro levels. It is a great time to be alive and exploring and hiking and fishing!!! Oh and the trout, they were there too!!!
I caught five again, this time they were all browns though. I started out with my biggest brown so far though. Nice 17 inch male brown that was JUST starting to get his hookjaw forming. Right where he should have been waiting on a seam. He was fat and healthy!!!
Look at the teeth on this one!!! You can see the upturn of the lower jaw starting. When he grabs, he does not want to let go!!!

The other nice quality fish was a tail walkin' 14" that soon as it hit, it was jumping 3ft out of the water and walkin' across the water!!!

Same fish was so lively he gave me a nice fish flop photo!!!

If you go, be prepared to exercise your legs a lot! It feels great to get out and hike and then have the river be willing to give you an opportunity with some gorgeous and crafty fish!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 01:07 PM   #2
splatek16

You apparently have a way with rod and camera!
Great post; I love that place!
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 01:11 PM   #3
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Absolutely beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 02:15 PM   #4
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 04:44 PM   #5
I_got_skunked
Native

Nice.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 05:12 PM   #6
erikclymore
Native

Enough is enough!
I might have to make a trip happen this weekend or the next. For one reason or another I’ve bailed on two trips in the past couple of months, but I think it’s time for me to see if that river lives up to it’s reputation.

Great pictures and report!
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 07:50 PM   #7
Jakkbauer
Native

Now that's a report!!! Thanks for the trail pics man they are sooo good! =) Nice fish too!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 07:52 PM   #8
stodgeball
Native

Great report! I'm ashamed I've never been to that part of the river if only for the views.

I've spent an afternoon on the river around Bullpen Gap in NC but never in GA/SC . From what I can tell the SC DH is north of 28 and the GA DH is at Burrells Ford. Is that correct?
stodgeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 09:12 PM   #9
trout1980
Native

Nice fish
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 10:43 PM   #10
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodgeball View Post
Great report! I'm ashamed I've never been to that part of the river if only for the views.

I've spent an afternoon on the river around Bullpen Gap in NC but never in GA/SC . From what I can tell the SC DH is north of 28 and the GA DH is at Burrells Ford. Is that correct?
Thanks for checking out the report! From not having been up there in years and reading up on it, the DH for both Ga. & SC starts at the Hwy. 28 bridge and goes up to the mouth of Reeds Creek. Anything above that, though heli stocked as fingerlings, is mostly wild trout that reproduce. I could be completely wrong, but that has been my interpretation of what Iíve read and seen from returning after a long absence. Challenging fishing though.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote