NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-18, 10:55 PM   #11
hstokes14
Native

Awesome report and pics man. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s been the hot ticket for you up there lately? Thinking of making a trip in a week to camp for a night or two where the east fork joins the main stem.
hstokes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 12:24 AM   #12
Znorton
Stocker

"Mostly," but not entirely. A lot of the DH fish swim upstream. The bridge at Burrell's Ford is stocked as is the campground downstream of Burrell's Ford.
Znorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 01:00 AM   #13
Lumis
Native

Do you prefer to hike the SC or GA side?
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 06:41 AM   #14
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Thanks for checking out the report! From not having been up there in years and reading up on it, the DH for both Ga. & SC starts at the Hwy. 28 bridge and goes up to the mouth of Reeds Creek. Anything above that, though heli stocked as fingerlings, is mostly wild trout that reproduce. I could be completely wrong, but that has been my interpretation of what Iíve read and seen from returning after a long absence. Challenging fishing though.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9259...3978,14z?hl=en

Phil is correct...DH is from Ben Russell bridge (Hwy 28) to Reed Creek 2 miles upriver on GA side...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 07:20 AM   #15
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstokes14 View Post
Awesome report and pics man. If you donít mind me asking, whatís been the hot ticket for you up there lately? Thinking of making a trip in a week to camp for a night or two where the east fork joins the main stem.
I sling meat so mainly streamers like sculpzillas but there have been lots of Stone fly and March Browns coming off the water. From the few risers I saw it looked like they were going after emergers. That trip should be worth your time just be aware there is a ton of downed trees and deadfalls in the stream the further in you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znorton View Post
"Mostly," but not entirely. A lot of the DH fish swim upstream. The bridge at Burrell's Ford is stocked as is the campground downstream of Burrell's Ford.
There is a good chance no DH fish would swim that far upstream. We are talking several river miles and over some larger rapids in between Burrells Ford and the DH. Not sure when they last stocked at the Ford or the campground, anyone have that info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
Do you prefer to hike the SC or GA side?
Lumis, nice first fish!!!
Iíve mainly been hiking the SC side. I have hiked the Georgia side but it has far more downed trees from this past fall and winter storms. The farther in you go, the more deadfalls both in the stream and on or around the trail you will find. Currently the East Fork is slap full of deadfall. Made fishing tough but well worth it!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 07:49 AM   #16
gau16
Native

Nice report, Phil!
Old 02-27-18, 08:00 AM   #17
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

"There is a good chance no DH fish would swim that far upstream. We are talking several river miles and over some larger rapids in between Burrells Ford and the DH. Not sure when they last stocked at the Ford or the campground, anyone have that info"? ...Phil...

...I have caught several DH fish below the 28 bridge down to the confluence with the West Fork (maybe 1/4 mile)...I am certain these were not regular stockers (9-inch / snits)...since they were larger, I figure they swam or washed down from where they were stocked...they don't know where the "boundary" is in either direction...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Old 02-27-18, 08:02 AM   #18
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/fish/stocking/results.html

...oh yeah, ...forgot this...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Old 02-27-18, 08:04 AM   #19
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/def...utStocking.pdf

...and this...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Old 02-27-18, 10:11 AM   #20
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
"There is a good chance no DH fish would swim that far upstream. We are talking several river miles and over some larger rapids in between Burrells Ford and the DH. Not sure when they last stocked at the Ford or the campground, anyone have that info"? ...Phil...

...I have caught several DH fish below the 28 bridge down to the confluence with the West Fork (maybe 1/4 mile)...I am certain these were not regular stockers (9-inch / snits)...since they were larger, I figure they swam or washed down from where they were stocked...they don't know where the "boundary" is in either direction...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Jimmy, I am a bit confused by your first statement. 'I have caught several DH fish below the 28 bridge down to the confluence with the West Fork (maybe 1/4 mile).' Do you mean from the DH below the 28 bridge UP to the confluence with the west fork? Also I am incorrectly stating that there are SNIT's as well as fingerlings that get stocked on the Chattooga?
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote