NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-18, 07:16 PM   #1
Lumis
Native

Post Amicalola? SIKE! Smith Creek Report.

NGTO has been dead today, so I'll put something fresh on the grill for ya'll. Get ready for another long wall of text.

A few days ago, I posted a thread asking about Amicalola. JHexom was apparently the only person willing to answer with anything, thanks man. I looked at the water levels, the flow, scouted out interesting places to fish within the WMA. I'm sure the paparazzi were waiting for me today.

They waited for nothing. I went to Smith. No one saw it coming. Amicalola flow was too high to fish, I changed plans. I invited Splatek, he said he couldn't make it, I don't think he wanted to come

I'm gonna be honest, I wasn't too excited to go to Smiths. The skies were a clear blue and I wasn't sure I'd catch anything. Woke up slightly later than most fishing trips. 5:15 am. Left the house at 5:50. Weather was in the mid 30's. I put on pajamas under my jeans and 3 layers of shirts. Think that'll do. Stopped at walmart on the way. Bought a Cortland Bamboo Net. $20. Best purchase ever. Drove over to the Unicoi Lodge, picked up my pass. Drove to the parking area, I'm the first person at Smiths, it's 7:40 am.

First thing's first. I could hear Durniak in my head. "DRAG FREE DRIFT".

I fish for 3 hours. Miss a few bites and lose a fish that I had hooked because I couldn't get my net off my back. Embarrassing. I send Durniak a message complaining that I'm not catching any fish and all the trout are on the surface eating flies. I'm no dry fly fisherman. By the way, there's flies absolutely everywhere at smiths. Big flies, smalls flies, swarms of them. The fish are feasting.

He tells me to rig up 2 nymps with a big nymph on top and a smaller one below. I was doing that earlier until I caught a tree and got too lazy to re-tie. I decide to listen up and tie on a red squirmy worm and a custom fly Zach gave me.

At 10:40 am, I see a bite and set it. I have a fish on the custom fly. A very small fish. Ugly little guy. My fire is re-lit.
https://i.imgur.com/Nyf6xSJ.jpg

I go back at it. 5 Minutes later, I have a new fish on. This time, I know it's a trout. I fight that baby. Don't wanna scoop him too quickly. Once I tire him out a little, quick scoop with the net. Stupid handy. I should have gotten a net ages ago. Not that it would have caught me anything.
https://i.imgur.com/omZa8Zc.jpg

I casted back in and got another trout within a few minutes. 3 fish in a row was energizing. I forgot to take a picture of that one.

I believe I missed two more fish after this and got tired of fishing the same hole for 4 hours. I decide to give it up and move downstream.

As I move downstream, the water is fairly fast. I don't see myself catching anything in there. Nymphs wouldn't stand a chance. But I think about it some more and decide to try a spot where the water is still moving fairly fast but has rocks that slow down the current. I move my indicator down like 3 feet. There about two feet of line between my indicator and worm. Split shot in-between of course.

Make a few strange casts, aiming for the pools behind the rocks where the water slows down. See the indicator jerk so I set and bam, I have a fish. I didn't even think I could catch a fish in that spot. Due to the quickly flowing water, the battle is much tougher here, but also more fun. I keep the line tight and slowly reel in. Once I get him close to shore, I net him. Decent fish. Nice color.
https://i.imgur.com/yUpvRDX.jpg

Move downstream a little. Repeat my steps for a separate pool. Another one. This one is small. But he's worth the mention.
https://i.imgur.com/hagbbKi.jpg

Slightly more downstream, I get one more. A very nice fight. From a distance, I immediately notice the colors on him. Pretty fish. Once I net him, I give him a photo-shoot to confirm he is indeed the prettiest fish of the day. So much scarlet. And his mouth is not like the typical stocker.
https://i.imgur.com/aOzFkia.jpg

I believe I miss one or two more fish after this and decide to head downstream. I follow the stream for a while, casting in places the trout might be willing to bite. Go past the point of the trail where the path goes up a large hill and back down. The 3 Mile marker. Once I'm that far in, I decide to be smart and head back up stream. Don't want to be alone this far into the forest. Decided I'd take some picture along the way.

Random part of the creek
https://i.imgur.com/4XXr2IJ.jpg

Small hole some people may know
https://i.imgur.com/ffMbUIH.jpg

The award winning fly that made it all happen. Shout out to bigyfly.
https://i.imgur.com/DuDKPVU.jpg

I decided to retrace my steps and fish previous spots. I lost one fish and caught nothing else. It was around 2:40 when I decided my back was killing me (obviously from hauling in heavy fish) and it was time to go home. 7 hours on the creek well spent. Most people I talked to were telling me they had had no luck so far, maybe I'm the superior fisherman? Of course. No doubt.

So, what does a champion do next? Well, our champion did not eat breakfast, or anything at all before this so he goes to eat. And what does a champion eat after catching every last fish in the creek? Only the most appropriate food.
https://i.imgur.com/o3D3twA.jpg
A chicken sandwich meal and an extra chicken sandwich. Powerade. Take notes, major key.

All in all, this was an awesome day. Great fishing. My casting has improved a tremendous amount. Though wading helps. I was able to untangle many lines which I was happy about. My hook sets still need work but I have plenty of time.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Lumis; 03-03-18 at 09:19 PM.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 10:08 PM   #2
Killer Kyle
Native

It is unfortunate that the most magnificent species of fish in your report was cast aside as the ugliest. You had a good day of fishing, and I commend you on that. I will say, however, that the prettiest and most perfect specimins you caught all day was the creek chub.Stocked rainbow trout that we all catch in Smith Creek are artificially bred fish that actually are invasive to the streams here. They are here merely for the purpose of sport and food. They are generally dumb, eat any fly, lure, or bait. They are inferior to wild fish. But to catch a completely wild, stream born, and native fish and call it ugly is crazy. It was the only wild and native fish you caught all day. It is beautiful, and ecologically important! It plays a greater role in local stream ecology than any concrete raceway run fed artificially bread trout trout does, but is deemed as a trash fish. That creek chub was the only trophy in your lot, but got a dishonorable mention? I can't understand it. I have had splendid days catching nothing but chubs on the fly. They are feisty, beautiful (much more so than any stocked trout!), and make wonderful sport fish and pictures. They belong in our streams, and stocked rainbows do not. Give the chub it's due credit. It is a wonderful native species deserving of much respect. I'd rather catch one wild and native chub for ten easy, stocked rainbows.
I commend you on a good day getting to practice your skills on some trout, but that green chub it the trophy of the lot!
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 10:18 PM   #3
Lumis
Native

Man, now you're making me feel bad, lol.

I thought he was ugly because of the strange nose thing he has going on. It's like a super short duck bill. Didn't mind catching him, it was definitely something new. I can't necessarily agree with you that he's more "beautiful", but I understand his importance.

I shall treat wild fish with more respectable names in my future posts.
Old 03-03-18, 10:23 PM   #4
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I have serious adult ADHD, so I rarely can muster the patience to read long winded posts. But I gottta say I thoroughly enjoyed reading your fish report Lumis. Almost felt like I was sitting on the bank watching it all happen.

Well done sir!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 10:49 PM   #5
Lumis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
I have serious adult ADHD, so I rarely can muster the patience to read long winded posts. But I gottta say I thoroughly enjoyed reading your fish report Lumis. Almost felt like I was sitting on the bank watching it all happen.

Well done sir!
Appreciate it! I've had a few people say they enjoy the writing style. I definitely enjoy writing them. It's nice to recount the whole trip and make a story out of it. Add a little dry humor here and there and waalaa.
Old 03-04-18, 12:05 PM   #6
Trouter23
Native

Lumis, congratulations on a great turn around and an enjoyable day on the water. I agree with Buck, great write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
It is unfortunate that the most magnificent species of fish in your report was cast aside as the ugliest. You had a good day of fishing, and I commend you on that. I will say, however, that the prettiest and most perfect specimins you caught all day was the creek chub.Stocked rainbow trout that we all catch in Smith Creek are artificially bred fish that actually are invasive to the streams here. They are here merely for the purpose of sport and food. They are generally dumb, eat any fly, lure, or bait. They are inferior to wild fish. But to catch a completely wild, stream born, and native fish and call it ugly is crazy. It was the only wild and native fish you caught all day. It is beautiful, and ecologically important! It plays a greater role in local stream ecology than any concrete raceway run fed artificially bread trout trout does, but is deemed as a trash fish. That creek chub was the only trophy in your lot, but got a dishonorable mention? I can't understand it. I have had splendid days catching nothing but chubs on the fly. They are feisty, beautiful (much more so than any stocked trout!), and make wonderful sport fish and pictures. They belong in our streams, and stocked rainbows do not. Give the chub it's due credit. It is a wonderful native species deserving of much respect. I'd rather catch one wild and native chub for ten easy, stocked rainbows.
I commend you on a good day getting to practice your skills on some trout, but that green chub it the trophy of the lot!
Bro, dude's excited about his day catching trout. Can we just congratulate him? I'm not sure I follow the logic that just because something is native makes it a trophy, or even desirable. But, if anyone posts a report telling us how excited they were to catch creek chubs, I'll congratulate them just the same.
Old 03-04-18, 10:12 PM   #7
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouter23 View Post
Lumis, congratulations on a great turn around and an enjoyable day on the water. I agree with Buck, great write up.

Bro, dude's excited about his day catching trout. Can we just congratulate him? I'm not sure I follow the logic that just because something is native makes it a trophy, or even desirable. But, if anyone posts a report telling us how excited they were to catch creek chubs, I'll congratulate them just the same.
You might be uninformed. Lumis and I have good report. We have spent time sending PM's to one another. I sent him a message with probably 12-15 good brook trout streams he should try for native specks. I wouldn't do that for most people from the cities unless I really, really liked them. I did that because he is young, willing to work, willing to fish, and protect our local and sensitive streams. I usually would never send details about our local wild streams to people from Atlanta or Gwinette because our streams get stomped enough. I am not just here to contribute stream reports or to learn or scout the net for fish. I am also here to educate. I do that when I see appropriate, and I saw the time fitting with my revious post. I congratulated Lumis twice in my last thread post, but that may have gone unnoticed by some. I am glad he caught some good fish and had fun fishing. We all do. My post was to merely educate him, and all people reading the thread that native and wild species like suckers, yellowfins, and shiners are all very valuable and wonderful as by catch species in their own respect. Most view these native species as trash fish, when they are the only native fish in the stream. Trout sensationalism is a chronic plague among trout fishermen, and I simply hoped to communicate the splendor of our truly wild and native fishes located here in the southeast. Maybe I should congratulate Lumis a third time so some parties can feel better about my previous post.

Once again, and for the third time, congrats on a job well done Lumis. Glad you had a great time on our local creeks!!
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 10:46 PM   #8
FlickNdip
Native

Nice report!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 11:18 PM   #9
Lumis
Native

No need for the fuss guys, no problem is at hands! Everything is dandy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouter23 View Post
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
congrats on a job well done Lumis. Glad you had a great time on our local creeks!!
I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickNdip View Post
Nice report!
Thanks!
Old 03-05-18, 04:18 AM   #10
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
I have serious adult ADHD, so I rarely can muster the patience to read long winded posts. !
I thought mine would improve with age. Not so much.
You can appreciate this:

Q: How many ADD guys does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Wanna go fishing?
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote