NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-18, 09:14 AM   #11
b5fish
Stocker

Reading your post I think I spoke with you Saturday. Do you have a Cabelas rod? If so I was the guy in the tan shirt/hat, small world! Glad you did well it was a great day out there.
b5fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 09:56 AM   #12
Lumis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5fish View Post
Reading your post I think I spoke with you Saturday. Do you have a Cabelas rod? If so I was the guy in the tan shirt/hat, small world! Glad you did well it was a great day out there.
Cabelas indeed. It's in the picture I posted of the fly.

I wouldn't doubt it. Though I did make conversation with a few people so I may not necessarily remember exactly who.

I wanna say we either spoke near the pool by the road bridge or deep into the forest by the big bend in the creek.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 03:26 PM   #13
b5fish
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
Cabelas indeed. It's in the picture I posted of the fly.

I wouldn't doubt it. Though I did make conversation with a few people so I may not necessarily remember exactly who.

I wanna say we either spoke near the pool by the road bridge or deep into the forest by the big bend in the creek.
Yea it was by the bridge, I think you were heading out and I was just arriving. I fished right where we talked and ended up staying there until I left, the bite never turned off. Most of the fish I caught were under the same tree overhang just off the bank.
Old 03-05-18, 03:28 PM   #14
Lumis
Native

Quote:
Yea it was by the bridge, I think you were heading out and I was just arriving. I fished right where we talked and ended up staying there until I left, the bite never turned off. Most of the fish I caught were under the same tree overhang just off the bank.
Awesome to hear. What were you catching them with?
Old 03-05-18, 03:44 PM   #15
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
It is unfortunate that the most magnificent species of fish in your report was cast aside as the ugliest. You had a good day of fishing, and I commend you on that. I will say, however, that the prettiest and most perfect specimins you caught all day was the creek chub.Stocked rainbow trout that we all catch in Smith Creek are artificially bred fish that actually are invasive to the streams here. They are here merely for the purpose of sport and food. They are generally dumb, eat any fly, lure, or bait. They are inferior to wild fish. But to catch a completely wild, stream born, and native fish and call it ugly is crazy. It was the only wild and native fish you caught all day. It is beautiful, and ecologically important! It plays a greater role in local stream ecology than any concrete raceway run fed artificially bread trout trout does, but is deemed as a trash fish. That creek chub was the only trophy in your lot, but got a dishonorable mention? I can't understand it. I have had splendid days catching nothing but chubs on the fly. They are feisty, beautiful (much more so than any stocked trout!), and make wonderful sport fish and pictures. They belong in our streams, and stocked rainbows do not. Give the chub it's due credit. It is a wonderful native species deserving of much respect. I'd rather catch one wild and native chub for ten easy, stocked rainbows.
I commend you on a good day getting to practice your skills on some trout, but that green chub it the trophy of the lot!

I believe that's a white sucker. They can get rather large and I've caught them up to 16" in the Confidence Hole at Smiths.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 04:44 PM   #16
Lumis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
I believe that's a white sucker. They can get rather large and I've caught them up to 16" in the Confidence Hole at Smiths.
Durniak told me it was a stoneroller.
Old 03-06-18, 07:14 AM   #17
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Durniak told me it was a stoneroller.
He would know. Thanks.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 03:38 PM   #18
b5fish
Stocker

Quote:
Awesome to hear. What were you catching them with?
I was fishing traditional style with a pink indicator, tan mop and a red squirmy.
Old 03-06-18, 03:51 PM   #19
Lumis
Native

Quote:
I was fishing traditional style with a pink indicator, tan mop and a red squirmy.
Ah, the red squirmy suggestion worked

I should look into mops. Never used one before.