NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-18, 07:30 PM   #1
erikclymore
Native

Default Cdc dubbing, my new favorite dubbing

I have been meaning to use up some cdc scraps and unusable feathers for a dubbing for a while now and finally got around to it today. I mixed it all by hand.
Itís amazing!
Black batch:
Black cdc scraps
Uv black ice dub
Hair trimmed from a black pine squirrel zonker strip for a little added spikeyness
The ice dub is in the middle with the squirrel on the left and cdc fibers on the right

Olive batch:
UV olive ice dub
A pinch of peacock ice dub
Hair from an olive pine squirrel zonker
Natural cdc feathers

This one was a little less organized. I just threw stuff together until I liked what I had. The peacock was a really good addition. I wish I had had some olive cdc but the natural should do just fine.

They make a super easy soft hackle cdc collar on nymphs and they look killer on a micro bugger. One of the benefits of using this on the bugger instead of wrapping it with the feather over the dubbing is that you can have the thread color show through. I really liked how the red bleeds through a bit.
So far Iíve just applied it using dubbing loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 08:04 PM   #2
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Looks great Erik! You can also do what I did and pick up a small coffee grinder and throw the ingredients in and just blend them up real quick. Works great.

Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-18, 09:12 PM   #3
Prowler

Erik............Thanks! You made me get my coffee grinder out and grind me up some cdc and some olive hare'e ice dub which has some olive rabbit fur blended in already. I blended it together real quick in the coffee grinder and with a dubbing loop, it allowed me to come out with this really buggy soft hackle version of my JLO. This version should be even better than my original. I'll give it a test run this weekend.

2018-04-23_09-07-15 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Old 04-24-18, 07:08 AM   #4
erikclymore
Native

That looks great!
And yes, I will be picking up a grinder soon. This is the first time I’ve messed with mixing my own dubbing.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 08:27 AM   #5
jonmo
Native

Looks great erick - keep up the great work..

Prowler - I may have to dig up an old coffee grinder I have hidden somewhere..Seems like it does a nice job..Thanks for the tip..

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 04:26 PM   #6
Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmo View Post
Looks great erick - keep up the great work..

Prowler - I may have to dig up an old coffee grinder I have hidden somewhere..Seems like it does a nice job..Thanks for the tip..
Chuck Morris put me on to using a coffee grinder years ago. I think I paid 10 bucks for mine. Works great and you can go with a really buggy look like mine above or trim some of the fibers for a cleaner look. Personally I think the buggy soft hackle JLO is gonna be hard to resist.