NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-18, 02:03 PM   #1
doubleheadcrowe
Native

Default Brook Trout

I fished the Toccoa this past weekend (not in the DH section). More than half the fish I caught were Brook Trout. I don't have pictures because it was raining and I didn't take my phone with me. But they are beautiful and pretty good size too! Is there a reason for the Brook Trout suddenly showing up? Is this some type of new program by the DNR?

I've been fishing up there for about 3 years now and never caught a Brook Trout. I must have caught 20 this weekend.
doubleheadcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 03:08 PM   #2
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleheadcrowe View Post
I fished the Toccoa this past weekend (not in the DH section). More than half the fish I caught were Brook Trout. I don't have pictures because it was raining and I didn't take my phone with me. But they are beautiful and pretty good size too! Is there a reason for the Brook Trout suddenly showing up? Is this some type of new program by the DNR?

I've been fishing up there for about 3 years now and never caught a Brook Trout. I must have caught 20 this weekend.
Depending on where you were, the fish were probably from the DH. Brook trout have a incredible habit of moving around once stocked. Ive caught fish in helen just a day or two after the smith creek DH is stocked with brookies. For an extreme exmple, a tiger trout was caught in allatoona from way up the Amicalola. Brook trout make like a missile (usually)

If you were fishing the tailwater, its likely that the state just put in some brookies during their normal stocking.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters

Last edited by ferrulewax; 03-12-18 at 05:02 PM.
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 06:57 PM   #3
buckman1
Native

I've caught some stocked brooks in the Toccoa Tailwater from time to time. Seems like it's always early spring. I think the Rock Creek hatchery releases some in late winter/early spring.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 05:15 PM   #4
jonmo
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman1 View Post
I've caught some stocked brooks in the Toccoa Tailwater from time to time. Seems like it's always early spring. I think the Rock Creek hatchery releases some in late winter/early spring.
Buckman knows that territory very well...I'd listen to his thoughts on this for sure..

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 10:08 PM   #5
FlickNdip
Native

Every year the hatchery drops in som brookies. They only drop them in once or twice though in early spring like stated above. They are a nice treat.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-18, 09:15 AM   #6
doubleheadcrowe
Native

Hey seem to be a little more aggressive than the rainbows. I caught a lot of them stripping a woolybugger.
Old 03-15-18, 08:40 PM   #7
trout1980
Native

I was told on here the brook trout come from the Chattahoochee National Fish Hatchery and the state of Georgia does not raise any brook trout.
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 08:57 AM   #8
iso1600
Native

You guys with a facebook, go follow/like the Chattahoochee National Fish Hatchery. They post updates on stocking and other info, lots of pics too.

Last year at some point, they posted some pics and video about the million or some-odd brook trout fry they just received from Dale Hollow (or some other hatchery to their West). I asked (kinda cynically) if they were northern or southern strain, and they said.... they didn't know lol.

But yeah, they raise a lot and stock them.
Old 03-16-18, 11:36 AM   #9
doubleheadcrowe
Native

Thanks! I went to the Facebook page and there is a video of them stocking Brookies in the Toccoa. It said they stocked in the DH section and the tailwaters. I was fishing upstream of the DH and I was a few miles away. So they've either stocked them in other areas or the Brook Trout really do cover some water! Either way, I'm glad they are there! I will be back up there next week hopefully.
Old 03-16-18, 12:38 PM   #10
trout1980
Native

I take it the feds stock streams on the national forest and the DNR stocks streams off the national forest?
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote