NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-18, 11:18 AM   #1
Default Fast Water Float Through

Any tips on how to fish fast moving water from a boat (kayak, jon boat, or river skiff).

I spend a lot of time and energy paddling upstream. I then turn the kayak around and fly through the target areas too quickly.

I find that my retrieves are often too fast -- and I'm not getting lures or flies into the appropriate depth (or keeping them there) as I'm having to reel or strip quickly to avoid getting hung.

I've read tips about using drag chains -- but that scares me a bit as I have also read stories about folks almost drowning when anchors get caught on underwater obstructions.

Definitely interested in any kayak tips -- or power boat tips (as I'm starting to think about making a move to a Gheenoe or aluminum boat).

Thanks in advance for any help!
srichens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 01:02 PM   #2
Hall of Fame Member
Wink Water & Boats

Generally speaking, boats are great for traveling between fishing locations. Boats are not so great for fishing as you described and you have to contend with two sets of movement to place your bait. You really have two choices, boat to where you want to fish and anchor up, or get out of the boat and wade. Even the best fishing boat in the world is a compromise to wading.

Now for the disclaimer: This does not apply for tuna fishing!
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 10:47 PM   #3

Fear of anchoring in a kayak is a good thing. That said, in calm water anchoring is a great tool. Try anchoring above and below rapid areas, then fishing. I highly suggest anchoring off the bow, with a quick release system (nothing for knots or kinks to snag on).

An often better option is to wedge on a rock, then fish the nearby chutes.
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 01:30 PM   #4

Don't anchor in anything to swift that you can't paddle up and get your anchor unstuck. Parking on a rock is ideal. If you do anchor in current have it setup to where one quick motion sets you free from anchor. You'll lose the anchor and rope but not your boat and all the stuff in it. Get some anchor line that floats and you can recover it later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
-Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 02:08 PM   #5

Thanks for these tips -- some really good stuff in here.
srichens is offline   Reply With Quote