NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-18, 10:49 PM   #1
freestone1
Native

Default Craving some butter

I have a work conference at Georgia Tech this week so like any fly fishing fanatic I threw my gear in the truck before heading to Atlanta in hopes I could sneak in some fishing time...

Now that I'm digging into it a bit, it looks like the logistics might be a little tricky with the releases much nonstop since we got dumped on last week. So is it realistic to fight rush hour traffic from midtown and find fishable water in the evening (if they stick with this pattern of releases) or am I outta luck?

Any advice is appreciated . . . or if any of you hooch regulars are planning to fish after work this week and are willing to show me the ropes shoot me a PM!
freestone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 11:53 PM   #2
Swamp Angel
President

Unfortunately, it looks like the release will begin again Monday afternoon at about 2:00 with two hours of a full on release at 127 MgW/hr followed by seven hours at half speed (67 MgW/hr) and dropping to 42 MgW/hr at 11:00PM. Where I normally fish based out of the ramp at Abbotts Bridge, that means the first effects of the release will be felt there around 5:00PM. Of course that means that an after work outing is pretty much screwed.

I'll keep an eye on the releases over the course of the week. If it looks like it may let up I'll shoot you a PM. If I don't get stuck with late afternoon work, and the river cooperates, I may be able to get you out on the water. I'll even forgive you for being a Florida 'Gator, just expect to hear some crap from me regarding football since I'm an LSU Tiger. (One of our former presidents is a UF Alumnus and former band member. Good guy, except he has this habit of bringing up the 1989 UF/LSU game. That one is still a sore spot for me. We shot of a load of fireworks celebrating a 20-20 tie with UF that year as the clock wound down, then the ****** ref's put 3 seconds back up on the clock and UF kicked a FG to win 23-20. Yeah. . . I'm still not happy about that outcome.)

Let's keep an eye on the release schedule and see what happens. Something may actually work out before week's end.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 07:43 AM   #3
splatek16

Swampy is correct, you probably aren't gonna get out today without a boat.

I'm not sure what they're putting in those releases but they sure do have the fish hungry and aggressive, so if you get a chance try again when the release is wadable. And I'd be happy to hop in with you. I know my way around a free spots closer to the dam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 11:41 AM   #4
freestone1
Native

Thank you both for the intel. Those dam engineers 🤣 sure arenít making it easy to fish this week with all that water they insist on running. I kinda figured releases might be an issue and did bring my PFD in case fishing near the dam was the available option. Definitely hit me up if you see a window worth fishing...I really have no idea how hellacious the afternoon traffic will be trying to get out of midtown but Iím willing to fight it to meet up and fish with you guys if the opportunity presents itself.

Old 05-04-18, 09:39 PM   #5
freestone1
Native

Made it out to Jones Bridge after lunch for a couple hours this afternoon. Picked up a couple of stocker bows in the first 30 mins...

Then nothing for about an hour...bright, clear, and gusty conditions were making it tough to euronymph. I finally found a deeper run that started producing. I picked up a couple more stocker bows and LDRed a nice buttery brown. It was about time to head out (since my wife guilted me into being back to Augusta in time for dinner) but I was still pissed at myself for letting the brown get away without a photo...one more cast. Crap...hung on the bottom again...nope, nope - itís a good fish. Gotta get him on the reel. He goes on a run, taking line against the drag. I get most of it back and then he goes peeling drag again...staying deep - big olí slab of buttery brown. I finally get him to the net!

*whomp, whomp* not exactly what I had in mind but he sure put up a hell of a fight. (Golden redhorse?)

Guess Iíll have to make another trip back to ATL to get that butter! ::

Old 05-04-18, 10:06 PM   #6
ChaChung
Native

Yup. Those things are around JB and I catch them from time to time. They put up a crazy fight, don't they? Great you got to land some fish.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 10:21 PM   #7
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestone1 View Post
*whomp, whomp* not exactly what I had in mind but he sure put up a hell of a fight. (Golden redhorse?)

Guess Iíll have to make another trip back to ATL to get that butter! ::

Nice report. Spotted Redhorse from what I can tell. Golden have brighter fins, less dark pigment, and a more visibly forked tail. But I have been wrong about these things before.
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote