NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-18, 07:54 PM   #1
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Default Back from Hiatus

Been feeling a bit under the weather and haven't been out in several weeks (not counting the time met up with Vancheesy on the windest, foulest, nastiest water day two mondays ago, we both silently agreed not to talk of that day).

Finally felt well enough to hobble out to the water. Today was the most bug activity I've seen at JB in quite some time. There was at least 3 different varieties of hatches of midge, beserker mother's day caddis, antflies, even a mayfly here and there. I wasted the first hour an a half dry dropping trying to convince myself the dry bite from years of yore might once return. Wrong.

Switched up to some Perdigons and there where plenty of fish holding deep. Everything today was at least 4ft of water (probably still hunkered down from the releases). My best numbers day for the year somewhere around 25. Rainbows where almost all same size and had similar pink lateral coloration. I was surprised that only one had stubby fins.

Bugs where around all day long, the one time bug activity seized was for about 10 minutes when there was cloud coverage. Saw ALOT of topwater activity, more than I have in the past 2 years round these parts but I was all dry dropped out and still picking up fish on the 'gons and sexys.

Spotted a few smaller browns hitting the midges in some shallow water. Tried to sneak up on 'em but no luck. Threw alot of midges today but for some reason, despite the heavy hatches, they don't seem to like them as much here as they do at the dam, except the smaller browns. I did manage to get a small brown in deeper water eventually.

These where my two go-to 'gons...You can see these where coated with inferior loon resin.

Around mid afternoon I felt a nice tug and knew it was one of Splatek's migratory browns. He went down deep but it was my quickest netted fish as I scooped him up from behind. He was gut hooked and probably didn't realized he was hooked so didn't put up much of a fight (Plus it was a long swim down from Settles during those round the clock releases so I'm sure he was fatigued). I wound up losing that fly as I didn't want to dig around in his belly with a hemostat so I cut the line and he took off.

Wanted to stick around for a few more hours, but my foot started feeling tender so I got out on the bank and watched the caddis hop up and down up and down for a good 30 minutes. They where so frenzied that they agitated the fish enough to come up at em and almost near miss every attempt. Wonder if this is a defense mechanism for the Caddis while dropping eggs or them just trying to get the eggs off?

Was pleasantly surprised that I didn't miss that many fish today (Prowler told me about his super secret line retrieve that lets you land more fish )

Tying up some Caddis now. Maybe just maybe, I'll get one to eat up top next time.

Best,
GU.
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 08:06 PM   #2
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Whatta brown! Glad you're feeling better and able to get out there man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 09:43 PM   #3
vancheesey
Native

whats this mystery day you speak of? i have no memory or recollection of this day... i must have just missed you today, i was in from 0900 to 1100, water just started finally dropping when i had to leave.... good looking brown...
Old 05-01-18, 10:20 PM   #4
WPrich
Native

Nice ones man, I haven't caught a brown in that area in a while but caught plenty rainbows. Hopefully the release schedule allows me to get down there on my off days to hook a few. Those perdigons look like they really took a beating today.
WPrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 05:51 AM   #5
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

You have been missed. Try swinging a lightly (1.5 mm) weighted size 18 Griffith's Gnat in tandem with a tiny soft hackle also barely weighted and let me know if that works.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 07:04 AM   #6
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
You have been missed. Try swinging a lightly (1.5 mm) weighted size 18 Griffith's Gnat in tandem with a tiny soft hackle also barely weighted and let me know if that works.
Mo had a nice Bowmans Gnat pattern posted some time ago that used to work for me. I've been throwing alot of sub size 20 maybe 18 is the ticket.
Old 05-02-18, 08:49 AM   #7
ChaChung
Native

Good report. Nice brown!

Just like Richard, I haven't landed a single brown in the past few outings. Just a whole bunch of rainbows. At least the rainbows this year are FAT!

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 08:55 AM   #8
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I hear the weather in Hiatus is really nice this time of year. Nice report and glad to hear you are feeling better!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 09:43 AM   #9
Bboyd
Native

Hey Gout,
Were you wearing waders or was the water warm enough to wet wade?
Bboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 09:37 PM   #10
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboyd View Post
Hey Gout,
Were you wearing waders or was the water warm enough to wet wade?
it was a little brisk for my taste...maybe a couple more weeks