NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-03, 01:04 AM   #1
Ivan
Native

Has any built a rod(s) on this blank. I Would any and all appreciate fedback.

Thanks in advance
Ivan
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 10:05 AM   #2
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Ivan - GonetoSeed must be fishing....
See his comments here 'til he get sback. http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ubbn...ML/004861.html
Don
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 10:19 AM   #3
GonetoSeed
Hall of Fame Member

Ivan - I've built 8' 6" 4wt, 9' 4 wt, 9' 6wt, all 2 pc. I think they are excellent blanks - straight, quality finish. I've built on the RX7 series. In my experience the RX7 builds into a mod\fast rod in both action and speed. I do use Batson's (manufacturer of Rainshadow) Forecast single foot ceramics for the running guides.

Here are two examples. The first is the 8'6" 4wt in the green color. The wraps are Gudebrod Classic Twist Black\Orange. The second is a 9' 4wt in the matte clear finish(wrapped in my favorite school colors )

GonetoSeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 10:24 AM   #4
GonetoSeed
Hall of Fame Member

Don - not fishing, at work . Did try the 6 wt Rainshadow out on small Tarpon in Belize last week. Boy was it fun
Old 03-13-03, 10:43 AM   #5
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up

Absolutely beautiful wraps, GTS. Have to show those to the CFO and convince her I need the practice.
Don
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 12:15 PM   #6
Ivan
Native

Thanks Seed, good work. Tarpons on a 6wt, Cool!
I'm trying to find those forecast guides, any suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Ivan (edited 03-13-2003).]
Old 03-13-03, 12:20 PM   #7
GregLS
Past President, Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via Yahoo to GregLS
Question

Cool looking wraps there GTS! What type and where did you get the thread in that first picture? I like the pattern.
GregLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 12:48 PM   #8
Korn Dunker
Native

Ivan, Here's their site for the blanks and the components. See ya Saturday. http://www.batsonenterprises.com
Korn Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 01:18 PM   #9
GonetoSeed
Hall of Fame Member

Don - thanks. I have found that taking a high-resolution, digital photo and putting on a computer screen is a great way to see opportunities for improvement .

Ivan - I get my Rainshadow blanks, Forecast guides and reel seat skeletons from Bob McKay at Custom Tackle Supply in Shelbyville TN. He does not have the Forecast up on his site, but you can call him at 931 684-1755. BTW, below is a picture of the Forecast guides with Blue zironia and Ti ring inserts. These are the first guides on a spinning rod, but I actually use SF fly guides for the rest of the way out, just don't have a picture. I included a picture of the grips\seats to show how the ring color can be matched for a color theme. Forecast also has a Gold ring insert in a Ti colored frame. I have some for a project I'm starting next and think they are great looking.

GregLS - this is Gudebrod Classic Twist. I get it from Custom Tackle. It is Gudebrod's updated nylon version of the varigated silk threads that some of the bamboo masters used. Comes in a number of combinations -black\gold, Black\green, black\silver, etc

[This message has been edited by GonetoSeed (edited 03-13-2003).]
Old 03-13-03, 02:29 PM   #10
Ivan
Native

Seed: I did check Bob's site Monday and did not see the Forecast components there so I gave up on him. I'll give him a call.
Pete: I think my H&H blank is actually a Rainshadow blank. I matched their specs and they are identical for every rod including the two color choices. So I quess where both building on Rainshadow blanks. I let you cast mine if you let me cast yours