NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-18, 08:04 PM   #11
benvan
Native

Default Rules have changed?

Anyone that enjoys float tube fishing at State Parks, many of us have been told this week at Lake Vogel State park that Float tubes will no longer be allowed on any state park water. Trying to get to the bottom of this.

www.thegeorgiafly.com

Benjamin VanDevender, ACI (Adaptive Fly Fishing Casting Instructor/TAG (Therapeutic Adaptive Guide)

benvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 07:36 PM   #12
UncleJesse
Native

That's not a good thing. If they are going to prohibit float tubes, what about other inflatables. I will try to remember to call DNR HQ tomorrow and ask questions.
Old 02-22-18, 02:32 PM   #13
UncleJesse
Native

I have a couple of calls to the Parks division hdq., who had not a clue about this and then up to Lake Vogel, where the lady that answers the phone was equally as uninformed. She took my name and phone number, went to the NGTO message board and saw Ben's posting and promised to have the park manager give me a call.

Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for any future government surveillance on BenVan.
Old 02-26-18, 04:47 PM   #14
UncleJesse
Native

Just got off the phone with Jack Becker, the manager of Vogel Lake State Park. Prior to my call, he was happily unaware of any issues involving float tubes and had me send him photos of tubes to be sure we were all talking about the same things. He then contacted his local law enforcement division personnel (game warden) about using float tubes on state park waters. Jack said the warden said float tube could be used on state park waters. However, the person in the tube had to be wearing an Coast Guard approved PFD. Which I can assure you is a good idea at all times.

It is my guestimation, this is one officers or maybe one districts take on the float tubing regulations. Apparently, some warning tickets were recently handed out but no fines to date. Wear your PFD when you are in any kind of boat but I can assure you float tubes do turn over were relative ease.
Old 02-28-18, 04:51 PM   #15
UncleJesse
Native

***UPDATE***

The statement below is from the manager of Vogel State Park, copied and pasted from his email this morning to me:

I received further clarification on the wearing of PFDs while using float tubes. You do not have to have it on, but you do have to have in the float tube with you. Anyone under the age of 13 must be wearing it.

As a safety professional and avid float tuber, who has completed two half barrel rolls in float tubes (2 events), I would encourage everyone to wear your PFD while in your tube. But, at the end of the day, we may lawfully use our float tubes in state park waters, if we had appropriate PFD's.

Old 02-28-18, 07:01 PM   #16
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Thanks for following up on this. I personally won't be using a float tube, but its good to know information.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 08:12 AM   #17
jonmo
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
***UPDATE***

The statement below is from the manager of Vogel State Park, copied and pasted from his email this morning to me:

I received further clarification on the wearing of PFDs while using float tubes. You do not have to have it on, but you do have to have in the float tube with you. Anyone under the age of 13 must be wearing it.

As a safety professional and avid float tuber, who has completed two half barrel rolls in float tubes (2 events), I would encourage everyone to wear your PFD while in your tube. But, at the end of the day, we may lawfully use our float tubes in state park waters, if we had appropriate PFD's.

Thanks much for following up on this, and getting the straight scoop for us..I don't often use my tube in State Parks, but it seemed strange their use would be curtailed.

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 08:34 PM   #18
benvan
Native

Default Thanks

I recieved an email stating that the parl ranger at Vogel telling folks this had been informed correctly. I actually recieved an email apology for the misinformation by park staff as well!

www.thegeorgiafly.com

Benjamin VanDevender, ACI (Adaptive Fly Fishing Casting Instructor/TAG (Therapeutic Adaptive Guide)

benvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 08:59 PM   #19
retiredmp
Good Idea Fairy Hunter

It's' good to see that this issue has been resolved. I was taught in Alaska to not only wear the PFD but to carry a sharp knife to deflate the tube if you flipped over and couldn't get back up.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 09:05 PM   #20
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

A government agency giving out misinformation? No way man!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote