NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-18, 09:43 PM   #21
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmp View Post
It's' good to see that this issue has been resolved. I was taught in Alaska to not only wear the PFD but to carry a sharp knife to deflate the tube if you flipped over and couldn't get back up.
Msgt, I have been upside down twice, one at the bank in a round tube where my head went underwater but being immediately adjacent to the bank I kicked off a swim fin and was upright PDQ. It was July and I was wearing neoprene so the discomfort was really minimal and I finished the last 3/4 miles of the float and caught a few more fish.

Second time V-shaped Fishcat got sideways in moving water, tube attach via a casting apron. Head never got underwater, went downstream 140 ft. or so, head never went under, thought about my ripcord and did not find it immediately. Went back to kicking and clawing. November in Hooch with breathable waders. Very cold, the good news was I have a strong heart, no heartache. Total loss 3 wt. TFO and a $50 White River 5 wt. A friend sent me a very nice custom fly rod after hearing of the incident.

Having a knife is probably a good idea but it definitely depends on the situation. I will go with wearing the PFD everytime. U / V shapes are probably safer than round in Alaskan conditions.

Last edited by UncleJesse; 03-01-18 at 09:51 PM.
UncleJesse is offline   Reply With Quote