NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-04, 10:20 PM   #1
Belvedere
Native

Unhappy

Can someone please give me an insight to the lakes at Tribble Mill Park? I live very close by and have fished it off and on for the past couple of years with very limited success.

If the advice sounds promising, I might even break out my Light Side rod! (Boy, I must be desperate!)

------------------
Belvedere

Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 09:19 AM   #2
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member

I live nearby, too, so I'll give it a shot.

Tribble Mill lakes are not only hit hard, they are pounded on weekends. The bass are probably more knowledgeable of new spinnerbaits and buzzbaits than a Saturday morning couch potato; rattling crankbaits haven't done anything for me there, either.

With conventional tackle, small and slow are the watchwords. Of course there are days when you can get away with other sizes and techniques, but in general, small, slow and quiet are the ticket for bass. Not that they are ever plentiful or dependable, but w/small stuff, you may catch a 1.5lb-er, or you may catch an 8lb-er.

Bream (collective name for bluegill, redear or shellcracker, green sunfish, red breast, etc.) are over-populating the lake. Spawns are prolific, which means lots of natural groceries for all adult fish.

Crappie tend to over-populate fairly quickly, but I have no direct knowledge of crappie fishing on either lake at TM. Be advised that some folks will mistake springtime male shellcrackers for crappie. The pronounced dark spots & bars can be confusing.

Opening any warm water fishing book to the chapter titled "Heavily Pressured Water" will basically yield "show'em what they ain't seen before." If you think about it, you can do that with old-fashioned hair jigs, pork, casting spoons, crank baits on a Carolina rig, etc.

Another option is to change your fishing style to FFing. The same bass that can give you the page number from the Cabela's catalog for that spinnerbait will go bananas for a deer hair diver like a Dahlberg (SP?).

If the bream spawn continues during the new lunar cycle, I will be forced to change my board handle to "Dances with Shellcrackers."

Good luck!
Don
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-04, 06:52 PM   #3
vonchim
Native

Cool

I have been fishing there for about 5 years. Ditto on the pressure. Since the big lake was drained the smaller lake has not been fishing like it was 3-4 years ago. I have done well there and had some tough days. The lily pads are gone from the small lake and now bass seem to be harder to catch. Small 6 in. plastic worms carolina rigged with a 1\8 oz weight is my bait of choice. Although a olive wooly booger seems to work ok too. Go early in am or just before sunset. It's not an easy place to figure out.
vonchim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 12:13 AM   #4
GUTHOOKED
Hall of Fame Member

Cool

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that gets spanked there on a regular basis. My luck has been considerably better there after receiving a hot tip from Mr Windknot (much appreciated, BTW ). In the last two trips I've caught about 50 nice shellcrackers and a bunch of bluegills far bigger than any I'd seen there before.

Last Friday I was out on one of the fishing piers harassing some small bluegills when I saw what I thought was a big carp, maybe 10 or 15 pounds. Just for kicks I tossed my popper at it. When the big fish turned and looked at the popper, I could see the black line down its side. That had to be the biggest bass I've ever seen, and I've seen a few hawgs. I couldn't get it to take the popper, but it did chase a bluegill that I hooked around for a while. I'm still not sure what I planned to do with that fish if I'd hooked it on the 3 weight.
GUTHOOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-04, 10:21 PM   #5
Belvedere
Native

Thumbs up

Well I still haven't had much success, but Little Bel caught a nice one from The Dark Side Attack 'Yak this evening. Thanks for all the advice.

------------------
Belvedere

Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 10:08 PM   #6
fly on the wall
Native

If there is wood in the water there are bass under it.
Try the far corner of the big lake (especially the shore line near the dam for the little lake).
Crappie like this area as well.
Small 1/16 to 1/8 oz white twister tail grubs catch them all.(Tennesee shad works well too.)
1/8 oz spinners do the trick when nothing seems to work.
On the good days flukes and finesse worms are the ticket. Flukes in pearl and worms in greens to sand color.
White Dahlbergs are the only fly I've had luck with.
Its never too hot to fish this lake.
Oh, one more spot that should be graet for flies for smallish bass. Head toward the new picnic/pavilion area. The flats area on the stream side holds a lot of small bass. Look for the small bridge in the far corner of the flats start fishing to your right along the bank to the obvious point.
fly on the wall is offline   Reply With Quote