NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-05, 01:45 PM   #1
hook
Native

Question George L. Smith State Park

Anyone ever fish there?

I'll be driving back to Atlanta from Darien and passing that area. I noticed that the park rents boats and canoes. Any info on the lake/pond or surrounding area would be appreciated.

Thanks,

hook
hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 11:56 AM   #2
TangledUp
Native

Default GL Smith

Hey Hook -

I fished it several years ago when I was working in Metter for a few days.
Beautiful lake - and they do rent jons and canoes. Get a canoe and poke around. I used poppers on a 5 wt and had no luck, but it sure was puuuurty.

It was mid-June when I tried it. Definitely worth looking at again.
There are lots of big cypress trees growing in the water, lots of good looking bass cover. It's very much like a bayou. Good luck - it sure looks like good bass water.

Let us know how you do.

TangledUp
Old 04-01-05, 08:34 PM   #3
hook
Native

Arrow Report

It does look very fishy with cypress trees growing up throughout the lake. Fished about an hour with one crappie and a couple of strikes. The lake water was high and the park service was relaeasing water in front of today's rain. It seemed like everything was hunkered down. Saw several tail slaps but very intermittant. Canoes, john boats and pedal boats available. DNR sais that crappie have been active in the spillway below the dam.

hook
hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 09:29 PM   #4
mayberrynut
Native

Thumbs up

I grew up 10 miles away in Metter and visited each year for church functions and such. I've caught a lot of bream and a few nice bass there. A guy I worked with later on fished there regularly and said that there was a creek that runs into the lake in the back part where you can catch redbreast. (If you've never caught a redbreast, let me say they're the hardest fightin little fish you'll ever lay a hook into). Anyway, I'd highly recommend fishing it. Even if you don't get a bite, it's one of those peaceful beautiful places you'll enjoy no matter what. (Of course if you really lay into the fish, you may never leave!)