NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > Events & Happenings
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-05, 02:28 PM   #1
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Default Keep September 24 Open!

Early notice from Jeff Durniak.

The fourth annual Unicoi State Park Outdoor Adventure Day will be held from 10 til 4 on 9/24/05. It is National Hunting and Fishing Day and a free fishing day for Georgia residents.

Event leaders met this morning at the park to kick off 2005 event planning. We (WRD and State Parks staff) will be needing some volunteers to help teach the kids trout fishing, fly tying, canoeing, archery, skeet, etc. Many of you are OAD veterans and already know the drill. You newcomers will absolutely have a great time.

Pencil "Unicoi OAD" onto your calendars or tap it into your blackberries today, so you won't forget. Come and help, or just come with some kids and have a good time. Pass the word to girl and boy scout troops and church youth groups.

I'll be in touch soon regarding a formal call for volunteers. If you're a bit unsure about trout guiding or archery instruction, I'll still need help with registration and parking.

We had 1,800 folks last year and we're "aiming" for 2,000 - 2,500 this year. Let's see if we can break our record for rounds of skeet shot (4,000+).

Have a 'blast?" Certainly!

Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 03:24 PM   #2
B983
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

It was a Blast last yr , before, during and even after the event
I am planning on helping again and camping again, Those pooooorr camp hosts
Tight Lines
Brent
B983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 04:13 PM   #3
jeffg
Hall of Fame Member

Sign me up for casting lessons!!!! that was a complete hoot last year! Especially helping this one kid learn and then turn around and outcast his father! love the look on that dad's face when his son out distanced him

I refuse to wear the orange hat though! gotta draw the line somewhere
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 10:39 PM   #4
Windknot

Default Ha!

Yep, it takes a special man to wear a blaze orange hat for six hours around 2,000 strangers!

The hat DOES have a follow-up use, though. During DH, if you see somebody keeping trout, put that hat on and get close enough that they can read the "DNR" in large print, but not the "volunteer" in smaller print while you point out the error of their ways. That works especially well if you are wearing a khaki or gray fishing shirt!
Old 06-18-05, 07:50 PM   #5
CharlesIvey
Native

Talking UNICOIADVENTURE DAY

JEFF,PUT ME DOWN AS A VOLUNTEER FOR THE FLY TYING EVENT.I HAVE DONE THIS IN THE PAST AND ENJOY IT VERY MUCH.
CharlesIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-05, 05:22 AM   #6
Rocketroy
Hall of Fame Member

Talking Outdoor Adventure Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot
Early notice from Jeff Durniak.

The fourth annual Unicoi State Park Outdoor Adventure Day will be held from 10 til 4 on 9/24/05. It is National Hunting and Fishing Day and a free fishing day for Georgia residents.

Event leaders met this morning at the park to kick off 2005 event planning. We (WRD and State Parks staff) will be needing some volunteers to help teach the kids trout fishing, fly tying, canoeing, archery, skeet, etc. Many of you are OAD veterans and already know the drill. You newcomers will absolutely have a great time.

Pencil "Unicoi OAD" onto your calendars or tap it into your blackberries today, so you won't forget. Come and help, or just come with some kids and have a good time. Pass the word to girl and boy scout troops and church youth groups.

I'll be in touch soon regarding a formal call for volunteers. If you're a bit unsure about trout guiding or archery instruction, I'll still need help with registration and parking.

We had 1,800 folks last year and we're "aiming" for 2,000 - 2,500 this year. Let's see if we can break our record for rounds of skeet shot (4,000+).

Have a 'blast?" Certainly!

Jeff Durniak, How could anyone miss an opportunity to see the parents, kids, and newbies light up........when completing a cast to a target: SOOOOOOOOOOO! Count Rocketroy in to bring a 3-4 & 5 wt. rigged up for some grass casting FUN! No gear?, don,t fret since the very generous Sir Jimmy of Unicoi,will bring a handfull of low mileage4 & 5 wts.for your use........from past OAD,S,the event could sure use several yarn tier volunteers, since the snap off of yarn is rampant{real early overpowering} Y,all come, ya hear! Rocketroy
Rocketroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 09:03 AM   #7
TheEndlessEnigma
Hall of Fame Member

Default ill put that on the calendar

but someone needs to call me early the day before and remind me of it .... also someone needs to give me a wakeup call ..... will do whatever ... did casting last year ... will do that again .... or some fly tying... whichever
TheEndlessEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 11:55 AM   #8
Marc_Karasek
Native

Talking Sign me up!!

I will be more than happy to do the tying again this year. Maybe my son and I can camp overnight and get a little fishing in...

Marc
Old 07-15-05, 11:54 AM   #9
scali

Talking Jeff

I can do registration or help with parking or whatever I can help with this year....just let me know, but if its like last year you may already have to many volunteers, but I can do whatever...
Old 07-15-05, 12:05 PM   #10
Windknot

Default Too many volunteers????

Ain't no such thing! Glad to have you aboard!