NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-05, 12:54 PM   #1
Path_Less_Traveled
Hall of Fame Member

Default bail wont close...

on my favorite spinning reel... any suggestions?
Path_Less_Traveled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-05, 01:33 PM   #2
flyflicker
Native

Check the spring in the bail. It may be broken and jamming up the works. Spring on most reels is under the big bail mounting screw between the bail and reel body.
Old 08-05-05, 02:16 PM   #3
Path_Less_Traveled
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks FF... now i remember a little wire coming out on the side opposite from where the line catches...

It's an older model reel.. Abu Garcia Cardinal 753... found some bail springs for Cardinal reels on Ebay, etc... maybe these bail springs are generic and will still fit my antiquated reel... otherwise, similar (used) model reels are for sell on Ebay for about $10-12.

The backup reel will do for now.. a Shakespeare Cirrus CS-35... just put some new 4lb test on it and may like it better.
Old 08-06-05, 08:17 AM   #4
flyflicker
Native

Those old Cardinals were great trout reels. My favorite was an old Mitchell 308. I use a Shimano graphite ultra-light reel now and have to admit it's a big improvement. Technology has sure improved the performance of fishing gear. Don't know if the durability has improved though. Few reels made today would have their bail springs last the time the one on your Cardinal did.
Old 08-07-05, 11:18 AM   #5
Path_Less_Traveled
Hall of Fame Member

I used a Mitchell 300 series when i was a young kid back in the early to mid-70's (dont really know what happened to it)...

Been reading good things about those Shimano reels.

If I get a new reel (likely a Shimano), will probably just order several bail springs for it at the same time... they are relatively inexpensive... that way, they'll be available when the time comes.
Old 08-15-05, 09:51 PM   #6
greg_n_clayton
Native

Default 300's

I still have some of them. I use them for cat fishing and such. Have a few for parts stashed away in the building. And a few more that are in a safety deposit box !! They are hard to find with the white lettering still intact in the engraveing !! Also use them for trolling for hybrids in the spring, when the dogwoods are in bloom. I think they were replaced with the 300A. As far as a light weight, I switched to Penn.
greg_n_clayton is offline   Reply With Quote