NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-05, 11:21 PM   #1
mmm1973
Native

Default No-Knot Eyelets

Just wondering, Does anyone else use no-knot eyelets to attach the backing to their leader? Does this have an effect on the presentation of the fly? Do you recommend them or is the traditional knot the better method? Just here to soak up the knowledge...
Thanks alot and happy fishing
mmm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 10:16 AM   #2
chrisfish
Native

Do you mean the backing to the fly line or the fly line to the leader?

Chrisfish
chrisfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 10:49 AM   #3
mmm1973
Native

Default No-Knot eyelet

I'm sorry... the backing to the fly line.
mmm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 05:27 PM   #4
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

nope. Arbor knot for me. Why have a knotless between the backing and the fly line? I suspect you meant between the fly line and the leader. Still no need for one there either.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 07:46 PM   #5
The Ole Man
Past CFO, Hall of Fame Member

mmm--don't fool with those no-knot eyelets with the burrs on a stem that you insert in the end of a flyline. Throw them away. They will rip out of your flyline in short order. My usual is a permanent leader butt nail-knotted to the flyline---then the leader is attached to that. If you need a demo, come to the Fling on the 5th. The nail-knot is pretty easy to learn----and don't rely on those knot photos with a nail or a tube, etc, that you see in books. There's an easier way---but it is not easily conveyed with an illustration. Others, I'm sure, use things like a blind splice, or bonded woven loops, leader inserted and glued into the flyline core or a thread wrapped or nail-knot bound loop in the flyline. Guess everyone has a favorite way. As for the backing to flyline, I usually use an Albright knot.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote