NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-05, 08:54 PM   #1
MossyOak
Native

Default Trout purchase & fish Pellets ??

In case some of you havent read some of my postings, I have a awesome place to fish on my private part of Cartecay river in Ellijay, I will be building some structures, setting up some auto feeders and releasing some above average Trout, I need some info on sinkable fish Pellets & where to get the above average trout for " my honey hole "...
Structure building would be helpful too.
Any ideas from any guru's out here?
MossyOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 09:30 PM   #2
Richie27
Native

we made some structure by cutting down some trees and sinking them and attaching them to the bank so that it'll stay in place. But if you're looking to do some stocking you might wanna look for a trout farm with fertile trout so that they'll be able to reproduce. Most aren't but you can find some that are fertile
Old 12-31-05, 09:35 PM   #3
MossyOak
Native

Default fertile

thx, but I dont think the trout can produce in the cartecay, not the right enviroment...I just want to keep some big bruisers around for myself and ntgo friends to enjoy catching..
Old 12-31-05, 09:55 PM   #4
Richie27
Native

that stinks that they can't reproduce up there...well just make sure when you're getting your stockers that they have had they're shots so that they aren't prone to diseases when they're in the river...cause some of the trout are gonna leave and you dont want the ones to stay to die cause of a disease or something that could be prevented...good luck and let me know if I can help
Old 12-31-05, 10:24 PM   #5
The Ole Man
Past CFO, Hall of Fame Member

You prob have to get a DNR permit to stock trout in the river. I think they want to insure that the fish come from a disease free, certified hatchery. Pellets--just get the floating kind for trout. It is fun to see the water come alive when you feed them. You can buy trout chow but it is more expensive and potent than regular fish chow. You can buy Purina Game Fish Chow at many feed & seed stores. It floats and the pellets are 3 diff sizes. I use it in my pond---about $14 a bag I think. I'm sure you will get some advice on where to buy fish from some of the trout stockers here.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 10:40 PM   #6
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Like Ole Man, I also use the floating Purina Chow. It's labeled as catfish chow but the trout don't seem to mind.

As far as fish, I pay $3 dollars for a one pound fish. I usually go in with two other guys and we order about 500 total. The fish are delivered to each of our ponds for that price.

Support Our Troops.......Let 'em win.....or bring 'em home!
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 09:48 AM   #7
MossyOak
Native

Default Fish/food

Thx for the info, though I cant use floating pellets, due to the current in the river, it would just wash down stream and I wouldnt be helping in my area..
I already have a message to the DNR, so hopefully in about amonth all the structures, feeders and new trout will be in place.
Happy New Year every-1
Old 01-04-06, 08:56 AM   #8
River Rambler
Native

Hey Mossy,
When I was in grad school at NGCSU, renting a place on the Chestatee, I stocked my section of the river with big bows (16"was the average size). I set up an automatice feeder and monitored them throuhout the year. I did a bunch of research and shopping around before doing so. I managed to keep about 30-40% of the fish in the immediate area throughout the year just by keeping feed coming.
I'm not sure about the predators in your area, but I would recommend hanging your feeder, because the bears are all about some trout chow. Also, before you place your feeder, hand throw some floating food out from potential locations watching the water gather and guide it into runs. You will obviously want some immediate cover for the fish. Poor feeder locations can bypass nice holes, it all depends how far your feeder throws food. Mine threw feed from the side, 0-15'. And you could set the timer for how many seconds it would dispense. It was activated by an increase or decrease in light and therefore feed just after sunrise and sunset. It's awesome to watch these fish explode on the food... there's no kissing or sipping this stuff, they just slam it, sometime coming completely out of the water.
As far as the permit goes you do need a permit to stock from the DNR but they don't care which farm you get your fish from, they just want to be aware of the numbers and location. There are several hatcheries you can purchase fish from. Pricing will vary since some charge a delivery fee and others simply charge by mileage. I'm not sure where your place is but Tellico trout farms does an awful lot of stocking for guide services around here...they offer a "sexless" trout that grows three times as fast as the typical trout. Thats why your seeing all these unnaturally sized fish +30" coming out of smaller river around here. I didn't stock these....I went with Bramlett farms and they were very reasonable and the delivery went beautifully. All healthy, heavy-hard fighting fish.
I've heard that you should stock them when the water is a little murky because it keeps podded up longer allowing imprinting of the area. I stocked mine in crystal clear water and had no problem with fish leaving.
The Biologist for the DNR is Lee Keefer. He's a real nice guy. Just write him describing place, conditions, species and number your planning on stocking and he'll send you a letter of approval. The trout farm will want to see this before making the trip out there. If you need any help building structure, let me know. Me and Richie would love to come up there and help out.

Anyways, if you have any specific Q's, hit me up and I may be able to help.
RR
Old 01-04-06, 09:52 AM   #9
chuckwagon
Hall of Fame Member

Mossy,
There is a Hatchery In the Hiawasee River Valley on the other side of Young Harris and Hiawasee. Its on Dyers Creek Rd off of the Alt.75 heading to Helen. It is the Dyers Family and has been run by them for years. We used to by fingerling trout for the Hybrids in Chatuge. I don't have his # right off hand but will look it up for you today. I believe Willis Dyer would be the right contact name. He will be sure to give you the lowdown on what permits you will need to undertake this project.

And........ If i get you this # I want to come fish!

Oh ........ I found it!

Dyers Trout Farm
706-896-3915

Trey
CW
chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 10:08 AM   #10
skibum
Hall of Fame Member

I'm ready to pitch in and buy my share of trout