NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Photos ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-07, 07:53 AM   #1
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Default Perrine reels?

My wife's grandma moved here from Charleston, SC last year and we recently helped her get some boxes of odds and ends unpacked. They had been in her attic. I found a Perrine automatic fly reel in one of them. She said her late husband bought it she estimates in 1965-66. It has a great big spring in it and you wind it up to load the spring then hit a little lever to retrieve line. Anybody ever heard of this brand?
Thanks!
Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 02:08 PM   #2
Trailblazer
Native

Cool Perrine auto fly reels

Hey, I'm more than old enough to remember those reels. There were a few brands of auto fly reels around then-South Bend, Martin to name a couple. The Perrine was thought of as an "upscale" model. If I recall it has a folding trigger. They could also be wound by stripping line off the reel and were meant to retrieve line only--not to pull in a fish. They were heavy and clunky and when you asbsent-mindedly tuck your rod under your arm to work on your fly(or bait), guess what happened when you inadvertedly squashed the trigger? All your line reeled in and if you were really lucky it didn't break the tip!! Interesting item from the annals of fishing, eh?
Trailblazer.
Old 06-19-07, 05:23 PM   #3
The Ole Man
Past CFO, Hall of Fame Member

Hey TB--I remember those. I got a new one for a birthday present in the early 50's. All silver with a big knurled winding knob. At that age, I thought it was pretty cool to hit that lever and watch the line come zipping in. Banged the tip guide many a time too.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 05:35 PM   #4
GonetoSeed
Hall of Fame Member

I've still got a couple of the Martin version that my Dad and I bought together in the early 60's. Berkley fiberglass rod, Martin automatic and SA level line with a little eye thingie for connecting the leader. I thought I had it all. Don't think I'll go back to the "good old days" gear wise but sure brings back great memories when I look at the Martins on the desk.
GonetoSeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 07:13 PM   #5
Stinkbait
Native

My grandfather had a Perrine. Heavy as the dickens, which actually helped balance the heavy glass rods back then. He gave me his old rod years ago but I don't know what happened to the reel. Just checked ebay and there are 7 for sale, all under $15. But you don't want to sell a family heirloom in any event.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 09:47 AM   #6
Trailblazer
Native

Cool Perrine reels

The thread on auto fly reels reminded me of a reel I had in the 70's called a "Retreev-it" I believe. It looked like an upright auto but was 'manually' operated--that is, you 'pumped' the lever with your little finger to retrieve line(the lever drove the gears). It was a cheap plastic reel with an aluminum spool but pretty light. It worked well and I used it until it "fell" off the roof of my car on the Esopus in N.Y.'s Catskills I could never find another one.
Trailblazer.
Old 06-20-07, 05:57 PM   #7
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default Automatic reels,

Got a South Bend "Oren-o-matic",red vertical and a #1835 green horizontal mount.Pair either one on a 5/6 wgt. wally world SA rod w/ good wf line and you have an outfit for pan fish, bass etc. Also raises a few eybrows on a trout stream. TRW
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote