NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Environmental / DNR > ASK DNR-U.S. Army COE
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-07, 06:32 PM   #1
Fishbreath
Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via AIM to Fishbreath
Default bream in an aquarium

i was wondering if its just legal

landon
Old 07-25-07, 06:51 PM   #2
atlninja82
Native

Send a message via AIM to atlninja82

well at petsmart they have northern pike.

"Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics, that it can never be fully learnt." -Izaak Walton 1653

email- atlninja82@aim.com
atlninja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 07:00 PM   #3
Fishbreath
Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via AIM to Fishbreath
Default really

never seen that before.
Old 07-26-07, 11:31 AM   #4
chirotrout
Native

Default MONSTER bream in aqarium

I would think that if you can purchase bream to stock in a pond...you can do whatever you want with them.

When i was in highschool...i grew a few bream to be obese in my aquarium. It helped to have a buddy that worked at the walmart pet section so i got all the goldfish i wanted to feed them.

I tried raising bass...with the plan on fattening them up to state record size then taking my picture holding it and send it to bassmaster. Unfortuanly fish grow in proportion to the size of thier environment...and because my mom wouldnt let me use our spare bathtub to raise them...they never got that big. it was fun until they both flipped out of the aquarium and ended up getting trapped against the wall and stand on top of a heating vent. when i got home from school the smell was overwhelming...and it took a good carpet cleaning for most of the room in our house to get the smell out.

have fun...and grow them BIG!

jason

ps...i dont work for the DNR...and this is only my opinion which may be illegal...but im sure they have bigger problems on thier hands than you raising a few bream.
Old 07-26-07, 11:46 AM   #5
atlninja82
Native

Send a message via AIM to atlninja82

yea im with chiro. i doubt the dnr is gonna raid your house because you are raising a few bream.

"Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics, that it can never be fully learnt." -Izaak Walton 1653

email- atlninja82@aim.com
atlninja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 11:47 AM   #6
SlckTrck
Native

Default Aquariums

I have 2 aquariums and have had them for a long time.

I started out with a 55 gallon tank with 2 Oscars and a Jack Dempsey.
Neat fish but huge appetites. I would dump about 2 or 3 dozen feeder goldfish in the tank. For about 10 seconds the tank would be filled with little gold fish. The oscars would just run around cramming fish in their mouths. A head poking out here a tail there. I probably over fed them and eventually they got way to big. I donated them to an aqaurium store in roswell.
After that I went with a breeding pair of convicts and a type of pike. The pike was really cool. Acted almost like a snake and would eat crawfish. Very cool to watch him stalk the crawdad. His trick was to sneak up behind and then bash him right at the mid section breaking him in half. If the crawdad had big claws he would snap those off first. Vicious little fish. You could see his long teeth. When he died I decided to go with a catfish tank. Very easy to maintain. Not your usual catfish, these took me a long time to find and are rare aquarium species.
Synos, Drift Cats and rare plecos.

Just my advice but I would stay away from brem in an aquarium. Messy fish and you will be cleaning the tank twice a week. You would also need a 55 gal or larger tank. Here is a good place to start. http://www.aquariumfish.net/home.htm

By the way, I have a 20 gallon complete setup, high quality tank, top, lights, heater and filter set-up that needs a home. The tank is conditioned and is ready for fish. This is not the usual 20 gal tank set-up you see. It is sometmes called a breeding tank. It is not as deep but much wider than a standard 20 gal tank. Black tint, very cool looking. I just do not have time to keep it up. I'll let it go cheap and will even throw in a couple aquarium books, live plants and and all the conditioned gravel and stones.
Anyone interested?

Save the Trout !
Shoot a poacher !

NGTO River Pirate

Last edited by SlckTrck; 07-26-07 at 11:52 AM.
SlckTrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 12:50 PM   #7
Bill Couch
NGTO Secretary, Hall of Fame Member

Landon,

Law Enforcement Captain Rick Godfrey said, "Legally taken fish can be held but not released or sold."

Bill
Bill Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 10:04 AM   #8
captfredfish
Native

Default .

Bluegills are little bullies. They'll chase other fish and nip them to death. Not a good community fish. I've had good experiences with Warmouth and Spotted Sunfish. Warmouth do best in stained, acidic water with lots of sunken wood. They look great and take worms or crawfish with gusto. They'll school up in small numbers, too...Get 'em when they're tiny, and they'll do great.
captfredfish is offline   Reply With Quote