NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-08, 04:35 PM   #1
duggie
Native

Default Ellijay and Blue Ridge

Are these communities in dry (alcohol) counties?
Old 01-20-08, 05:34 PM   #2
sageboy
Hall of Fame Member

In Blue Ridge you can buy beer & wine in grocery stores but there are no bars, and restaurants can't serve it (no brown bagging either). They just finished a very contentious vote last year to allow alcohol and by a very, very narow margin, it was defeated. There are still hard feelings.

In Ellijay restaurants serve beer and wine. I'm not sure if they have bars.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the above facts are correct.

Bob
sageboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 07:09 PM   #3
mb90535im
Native

East Ellijay (the area where the Super Wal-Mart is) I believe has beer, wine, and liquor by the drink in restaraunts and also has package stores which sell beer, wine, and liquor.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:00 PM   #4
bronson01
Native

The closest Liqour store is over the mountains in Eton I think
bronson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 12:02 PM   #5
Brooks
Stocker

If you're coming up from Atlanta there are half a dozen GIANT liquor stores on the way along 515 near the Jasper area. I think one is even called trout liquor...
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 12:21 PM   #6
Bigt
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to Bigt

Trout's is just to the South of Jasper on the right hand side just past the Race Trac/Quick trip..... Great store, nice folks and they support Local TU Chapters

BigT
Bigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 01:15 PM   #7
fishtaco
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageboy View Post
In Blue Ridge you can buy beer & wine in grocery stores but there are no bars, and restaurants can't serve it (no brown bagging either). They just finished a very contentious vote last year to allow alcohol and by a very, very narow margin, it was defeated. There are still hard feelings.

In Ellijay restaurants serve beer and wine. I'm not sure if they have bars.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the above facts are correct.

Bob
I know at the Toccoa Riverside Restaurant you can bring your own alcohol.
Old 01-21-08, 02:58 PM   #8
sageboy
Hall of Fame Member

You are right Wishin. You can brown bag in unincorporated Fannin, but not in the city limits of Blue Ridge. I remember the local art gallery used to have an open house every few months to showcase new artists. They would serve wine and cheese. City of Blue Ridge in their infinite wisdom cracked down and made them stop. I believe the way that the ordinance is written only churches/synagogues can serve alcohol. (I assume weddings, bar mitzvahs, communion). Anyway after a little research here is a recap of allowable alcoholic imbibing in the area:

Blue Ridge City Limits
Beer & wine available Monday - Saturday at convenience stores, grocery stores, the Beer Barn, Out of the Blue, Sycamore Crossing, the Bookstore, Indigo Hills. No alcohol served by-the-drink in restaurants and no brown-bagging allowed within city limits.

Outside of Blue Ridge City Limits/Fannin County
Brown-bagging legal and permitted at the Toccoa Riverside Restaurant, and the sports bar at Forge Mill. Beer & wine can be purchased Mon. - Sat. at Ingles, Food lion, CVS, most convenience stores, and at the Lake Blue Ridge Marina via the dockside gas station or at the store next to the marina. Hard liquor is not available for purchase anywhere in Fannin County .

Copperhill, Tennessee
Monday through Saturday, and Sundays 1PM - 7PM, beer & wine may be ordered at local restaurants and purchased at local TN convenience stores. Typical GA laws apply Monday - Saturday, beer & wine only though, no hard liquor.

Ellijay/Gilmer County
Typical GA laws apply (beer, wine, & liquor served and for sale Mon. - Sat.) except no Sunday drinks served at restaurants.

Blairsville/Union County
Completely dry except for Brasstown Valley Resort. BVR bars are closed Sunday, but you can order drinks with food at the restaurant.

hope this helps - Bob
sageboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 04:31 PM   #9
HoWink
Native

Thanks for the comprehensive report on liquor availability in Fannin/Blue Ridge. Just for kicks I googled Fannin County synagogues. As expected, I came up "dry". Not many fellow yids up there in Fannin.

"I fish all the time when I'm at home, so when I get a chance to go on a vacation, I make sure to get in plenty of fishing." -- Thomas McGuane
HoWink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 09:14 PM   #10
duggie
Native

Thanks for all the feedback concerning my question.

Sageboy: Thanks for going to all the trouble of researching that. I'll print that off and put it in my travel planning folder for the Ellijay area. Will be fly fishing that area in April.