NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Environmental / DNR > ASK DNR-U.S. Army COE
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-08, 06:43 PM   #1
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary
Default Seen Poaching? Seen Pollution?

Have you spotted poachers?

Note the location and time of day.
Note the physical characteristics of the suspected poachers and their clothing.
If possible, note the color, make and model of their vehicle.
If it’s really your lucky day, write down their car tag number!
If you’ve been carrying a camera all day to record your trophies, try to get photos of the suspected poachers and their vehicle.

So, now what do you do?

Make the call - TIP Hotline 1-800-241-4113

Are you in the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area?
If you see suspicious activity on the Chattahoochee tailwater (including the Delayed Harvest section), you may want to first call the Law Enforcement group from the National Park Service at 678.538.1273. Follow that call with a call to the TIP line, and let them know you’ve called the park service, too.

If you have some excellent digital photographs of skullduggery in the field, or you prefer to wait until you get home to file a report, you can send an e-mail directly to Turn In Poachers to report poachers and polluters. Please provide a contact phone number so the Ranger could contact you if more information is needed. All information is strictly confidential and you can remain anonymous.

Have you spotted Pollution, Erosion or a Fish Kill?

Note the location and time of day.

Make the call - TIP Hotline 1-800-241-4113

For more info, see Turn In Poachers Info From WRD.

WRD Weekly Activty Reports (Poaching Smackdown!)

Last edited by Windknot; 11-04-10 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Cleaning links.
Old 11-05-10, 12:16 PM   #2
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary
Default Dredger's Pointers

Dredger offers some pointers. Gee, ya might think he's done this a time or three!

As a fellow angler , I'd like to offer another alternative to our reactions to a person who appears to be violating the regulations on the public waters we share. I try to kill 'em with kindness.

If someone is using an illegal bait, or even is simply crowding me in "my" honey hole, I reel up, get out of the water and observe them for a while. Then, with a smile, I slowly approach them. If they seem to be comfortable with my approach, I'll speak to them:

"How's it going? Any luck?"

I can usually tell their mood and their intent with their first response. A few folks are gruff, self-centered, defensive and may, indeed , be knowing violators. I handle those fine citizens by getting good descriptions (person, act of violation, vehicle tag number) and passing that info along to the proper authorities. We have great conservation rangers and Forest Service LEO's. I know all their names. 'Nuff said here.

More than half of these anglers, however, simply do not know the rules. They were not as fortunate as us to have good mentors who taught us the do's and don'ts of our sport, from the state laws to the unwritten code of angler ethics. Or, in their haste to the promised land, they did not closely read every rule book and every sign along the road or the stream bank. They are, quite simply, blissfully ignorant. They're happy to be away from life's responsibilities and overjoyed to be standing knee-deep in a little bit of heaven.

Can we relate?

For those fellow anglers who seem uneducated, I'll approach them further, or wait til they're done and coming up the bank to me. I'll tell them what's working for me,so that the conversation is about the fishing. Their stranger defense shield is usually lowered. Then I'll politely explain the error of their ways, whether it's using bait in an artificials stream, using a treble in a single hook stream, keeping fish in a DH, or invading "my" space in the pool (poor angler etiquette). The vast majority of these individuals usually react with surprise, concern, apology, and gratitude for the info. They say that they "never knew," and, by golly, I think nearly all of them are sincere!

Then I "give" them something to stay in their good graces and to keep our encounter conversational and not confrontational. For bait anglers, I tell them where they can fish with bait and be successful ("fish for the wash-downs below Ami's Hwy 53 bridge and you'll have a blast"). For illegal lure users, I give them a hot fly or two, or pinch the barb for them. For pool-crashers, I give them my pool and move to another (it's a long stream and a big state). I also invite them to look at or join NGTO or TU as a way to get adppted by friends and experts. Those newbie "business cards" are great and I carry several in my vest pocket just for these occasions. And with a few folks who show great potential as do-gooders , I may even invite them to join me astream for a little while.

Most of the time, I've made a new friend. I may have corrected a behavior. I may have helped a struggling wannabe to become an avid angler. I may have even added another troop to our conservation army.

In many of my personal experiences, a little dose of patience and a healthy application of the Golden Rule seem to work. My momma, my best fishing partner in the whole world, always said that "you can catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar." Since many of us are into this "flyfishing" gig these days, I thought her quote was most applicable.

As for me, I would rather make more friends than enemies. I find that when I "give" a little, I usually "receive" much more in return from life. Some of the smiles from ya'll, who have wet a line with me, are indeed priceless. Sometimes, folks, life isn't always about us. It may be about "them." And them folks can end up being part of "us;" our friends and allies - - at the Waffle House, in fish camp, on a brook trout project, or at the polls.

Best of luck astream. I hope that this second approach to questionable anglers provides us all with one more tool in our conservation toolbox. Feel free to use any of these legitimate tools, from a free fly to a TIPS call (800-241-4113) as you see fit to enjoy your day, protect your resources, and to keep your conservation team strong into the future.

Life's too short. Get outside and enjoy it. After all, smiles and hooksets are free!

Closed Thread