NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-08, 11:36 AM   #11
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Hike in from Coopers Landing to Crescent Lake. The grayling fishing is probably the best in the state.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 12:57 PM   #12
OldDawg
Native

Default Kenai/Troutfitters

I will fish with Troutfitters the week after your visit. Aug 23/24. IMHO go with the guide if you can. It's only money. You will not regret it.
OldDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 01:15 PM   #13
nuggetlegs
Native

We just had a huge surge of reds (25,000+) coming in yesterday so it looks like the fishing ought to be pretty darn good when yall come up.
Old 07-18-08, 03:49 PM   #14
OldDawg
Native

NL:
I heard it has been a wet summer and the migrations are late in the Bristol Bay and Kuskoquim regions of west AK. I leave on the 13th for eight days on the Kanektok.

Any comments? What is a good site for AK reports?
OldDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-08, 09:57 AM   #15
SuwaneeDawg
Native

Nuggetlegs, thanks for the info. Maybe I can land just one of those 25k reds. What type of lure do you use for those and what lb test line do you recommend?
I was also wondering about an Alaska fishing forum.

Last edited by SuwaneeDawg; 07-21-08 at 01:15 PM.
SuwaneeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 07:04 AM   #16
SuwaneeDawg
Native

Default No guide....

So I couldn't talk my dad into getting a guide so we are at the mercy of our own knowledge of where to fish and what to use.
Old 07-25-08, 12:37 AM   #17
nuggetlegs
Native

Sorry about the late reply, I've been taking water sampling on the Kenai for the past six days.

Olddawg:

I know that in Anchorage we've had a cool wet summer with a lot of run off coming in late but I'm not sure about South-west Alaska. The runs have been late this year and not as good as in years past but it's all pretty relative. Most of the runs "up North" like the Deshka and the Little Su have been horrible but the Kasilof and Kenai are finally starting to go.

Your best site for information is: http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/

There are fishing reports and the folks on the site are pretty knowledgeable. Remember to look out for emergency closures, this shouldn't be an issue where you are going but if you fish in or around the highways up here it's a pretty big deal.

SuwanneDawg, basically you use anything to **** them off to get them to bite. They aren't actively seeking out any food so if you are fly fishing all you do is load up with a lot of lead and use an egg sucking leech or some type of large streamer and essentially floss it into the mouths of the fish. It's pretty much the same thing using a spin rod. As for tippet or line 10lb test will work if you are going for bows as well but if you are only going to fish for reds 15+lb test is the way to go as the fish can go nuts.

You also want to talk to the shops in Anchorage, Soldotna, and Coopers Landing. Just buy some flies, lures, or whatever from them to get them to talk.

I just went dipnetting, aka meat fishing, and should be set on salmon for a while. Good luck to you both.
Old 07-25-08, 07:25 AM   #18
SuwaneeDawg
Native

Nuggetlegs,

Thanks for the site info. I had read about the low number on reds in the Anchorage paper. I will be spin fishing so do I need some sort of steel leader or would that be too visible? Also are there any special regulations in the Kenai River area that I should be aware of? As far as lures go, I was planning on using some Panther Martins and maybe some Blue Foxes around 1/4 oz.

Thanks again and good luck fishing.
Old 07-25-08, 06:24 PM   #19
nuggetlegs
Native

Your best bet would be to buy the lures up here. I would not use a steel leader and just go with a lot of split shot. The fishing up here is almost completely different than in Georgia so it is worthwhile talking to the experts at the local shops.
Old 07-26-08, 08:47 PM   #20
fishbum
Native

Dawg,

Reference rainbow fishing on the Russian. Do not buy beads until you get to Coopers Landing or somewhere close to where you will be fishing. The guides ( Troutfitters or others) will be able to advise you on what color and size beads to buy.

The silver salmon we caught were on red and white yarn streamers we tied ourselves( after lessons from other fishermen) or white articulated rabbit fur streamers. They were a blast to catch. Any reds we caught had to be released as the season was closed the last week of August when we were there.

See the attached pictures (if I got them attached!)
fishbum is offline   Reply With Quote