NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-08, 09:12 PM   #1
Grizzz
Past President, Advisory Board, Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via AIM to Grizzz Send a message via Yahoo to Grizzz
Default Tom Landreth Memorial Fund Challenge

Most of you knew Tom Landreth but for the new members let me give you a little background. Tom was a not only a great friend of NGTO but also every other organization that supported Trout. Several years ago Tom retired from his corporate job in the big city and moved to the mountains to chase his two loves, trout and painting. Tom produced some of the most beautiful fishing scenes around and whenever an organization called to get a donation for our fundraisers, Tom was always there.

Tom recently passed away after a long fight with cancer. The Rabun Chapter of TU has started up a Memorial Fund. Here is a description of the fund:

"Knowing of Tom’s love of trout fishing and the Chattooga backcountry; his family gave their permission to establish the Tom Landreth Memorial Fund at Rabun TU with all donations used to help pay for the Chattooga backcountry helicopter stocking program. What a nice way for his family to allow us to honor Tom. "

Well NGTO has decided that we would like to honor Tom also, so we have a challenge. NGTO will match up to $1000 donations made by our members. Here is the way to accomplish the goal.

1) Make checks payable to Rabun TU. In the "For" section put NGTO Matching Tom Landreth Fund

2) Mail checks to : Rabun TU, P.O. Box 65, Rabun Gap, GA 30568

3) The Rabun Chapter will be notifying me of all contributions and I am going to recognize the donors on our website, not the amount donated just their names. If you want to donate anonymously please send a note and we will honor your wishes.

4) No amount is too small. Please give anything you can. It all adds up.

5) Donations will be collected through the end of September. We will then add up the amount that was donated by our members and match it up to $1000.

So the challenge is out there. Let's step up and honor Tom. I will start it out and my check will be off tomorrow.

I want to thank the following NGTO Friends that have donated to the Fund:

Clark Rodgers
Jack and Beth Tuttle
Jack and Jan Edwards
Jeff Fields
Joseph Sce
Charles and Doris Morris
Sam Alatar
David and Rebecca Hulsey

Last edited by Grizzz; 07-31-08 at 09:02 PM.
Grizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 10:14 PM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Thanks so much for posting this Jeff. I too would like to challenge our membership to step up and support this effort. Tom was a great man who loved NGTO and north Georgia trout fishing and I can think of no better way to honor his memory than to support this memorial fund.

With all money contributed going to support the Chattooga River Helicopter stocking program, you will be playing a direct part in keeping the Chattooga River one of the great wilderness trout fishing destinations in Georgia. BTW, I have witnessed the helicopter stocking process in person and it is a very cool thing to see. Just don't ask me where I was on the river when I saw the helo dumping all of those trout in the water!

All donations no matter how big or small will add up quick and make a huge impact on the Chattooga River fishery for many years to come. And your contribution will also help establish a long and lasting legacy to our dear departed friend Mr. Landreth.

God bless!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 10:35 PM   #3
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Thumbs up

I know Tom would have loved this tribute and what it will accomplish. My check is off tomorrow as well.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 10:44 PM   #4
TroutTackler
Native

This is great! Thanks for doing this, Grizzz - A cool way to honor a cool guy.
My Facebook
TroutTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 07:03 AM   #5
Grizzz

If any of you can help with a corporate donation, I know we will accept those also. And I am sure that it would be tax deductible. (Now remember I am not an accountant and you should check with your professional.)
Old 07-18-08, 08:44 AM   #6
Buck Henry

Hey gang,

I thought I would post the text of an email Grizzz received from the family of Tom Landreth. Your generosity has already been noted and appreciated! If you have not already done so, please take a moment to consider supporting this very worthwhile effort.

Good morning Jeff:

Just wanted to say how much it means to me to know Tom is remembered by so many people. He would be pleased to know that the Chattooga River stocking program will continue for quite some time through the efforts of folks like you and the NGTO subscribers.

Please extend my thanks to all for the friendship and memories created through his/our association with such a great group of folks who want to leave a legacy for future generations!

My best to you. Look forward to seeing you at the Rendezvous, if not before.

June Landreth

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Grizzz; 07-18-08 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-20-08, 09:27 AM   #7
Grizzz

I hope the lack of silence does not mean a lack of support for the Memorial Fund. If you are sending money and want to put your name up, please do. I want to keep this thread active and really want to push to make sure we hit our goal of at least a $1000 donated by our members. Remember, even if it is only a dollar that you can afford to send, they all add up and we really do appreciate the help.
Old 07-20-08, 10:02 AM   #8
Buck Henry

Agreed, supporting this memorial fund hits right at the essence of what NGTO is all about. Your contributions will support future air stockings of the Chattooga River backcountry while at the same time honoring a man who was truly dedicated to the betterment of trout fishing for all Georgians. As Martha Stewart would say, this is a good thing!

And Jeff is right, even if it is only a few bucks that you can afford to contribute, it will make a difference as NGTO has pledged to match every dollar contributed up to $1000! Think about it, if just 200 of our over 6000 members sent in $5.00 each, we would hit $1,000 in no time flat!

PS: My check to the Rabun TU went out last week.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Old 07-20-08, 06:04 PM   #9
FlygURL
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member, Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzz View Post
I hope the lack of silence does not mean a lack of support for the Memorial Fund.
By no means does silence mean a lack of participation.

Tom and June were constant supporters for all for all of our local and regional organizations. One time I decided to give the Landreths a break from our annual request for donations. When Tom got word, next time I saw him he took me aside and told me if we (GaWomFly, at the time) had an event he could make a donation for, I was to never miss an opportunity to allow him to make a donation. I appreciate his and June's consistent support for GaWomFly, NGTO and TU over the years.
Old 07-23-08, 12:11 AM   #10
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

Default I wish I knew Tom Landreth first hand

I did not know Tom Landreth, but reading this thread peaked my interest.

I Googled "Tom Landreth" and was rewarded with samples of his art and reflections of his life.

I also came across this Tribute to Tom that others may like to read.

http://www.tom-landreth.com/about.html

I wish I had the opportunity to meet Tom. I think folks like Tom are becoming fewer and far between in our over stressed and crazy lifestyle.

I know we have NGTO members that live the life Tom tried to share through his paintings, but there are many of us still trying to reach that level of nirvana.

I think the Memorial Fund is a real nice way to honor Tom's Life and his love of fishing and nature.