NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-08, 07:28 AM   #11
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

SD,
How was the camping at the USFS site? I guess the water was real low in the West Fork. There will be better times there. The best time to go fishing is when you've got the time.
Tight lines!
Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 10:49 PM   #12
SuwaneeDawg
Native

Default Camping

The camping is good there. The sites have a fire ring, picnic table, and pit toilets. Most of the sites are within view of the river and only about 100-200 feet from your car if you like that sort of camping. I prefer backpacking but was with the wife which explains the camping and the little amount of fishing.
My buddy and I walked passed a guy upstream of the bridge past the campground for a ways. He reminded me of Gary Micheal Hilton - no car at the trailhead and no gear other than his tent. Just waiting for something or someone. Kind of creepy.
Once we passed him we climbed up a sheer rock watefall that was probably 60-70 feet high. It was really cool.
The water was extremely low. I hope they enough rain to replenish the river this winter.
SuwaneeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 07:06 PM   #13
captfredfish
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuwaneeDawg View Post
Why do you expect the fishing to be better now?
I expected it to be better because of the cooler temps and this being spawning time for Browns. And, I was hoping...

Water levels looked to me to be about where they were in July when I was there last. Well, the bass fishing was outstanding down river; but when I moved up to the West Fork on Friday, I couldn't buy a strike. There seemed to be plenty of shiners and little bass all the way up past Tottery Pole Creek, but I only caught one fingerling 'bow.

I agree that the weather was perfect.
captfredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 07:44 PM   #14
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Both you guys owe it to yourselves to get back there and fish the same spots when the water is more "normal". It's always been an awesome fishery for me, wife, & kids (both in college now) for the last 25-30 yrs. Me and Cath fished and camped there before the kids came along then took a 2-3 yr hiatus when they arrived until we could manage camping with them as littl'uns.
There is some beautiful scenery and the further up you go from the USFS campsites, the better, for my $.02.
I have had bear encounters, so if you are accustomed to carrying a sidearm, it's not a bad idea.
Tight lines and better luck next trip!!
Jimmy
Old 10-22-08, 07:25 PM   #15
captfredfish
Native

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
Both you guys owe it to yourselves to get back there and fish the same spots when the water is more "normal"...Tight lines and better luck next trip!!
Jimmy
Did I say I had bad luck?

I'm a Redeye Bass freak and they were everywhere last weekend...I also moved over to a smaller stream and got into some wonderful little 'bows on my 3wt using dries (light cahills). Combine that with 2 nights at the Festhalle and pitchers of Paulaner Hefe-Weizen and I'd call it a perfect trip!
captfredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 02:27 AM   #16
River Rambler
Native

Default Sounds perfect to me too!

Light Cahill on the Chatoog right before dark....Can't beat it.
Old 10-26-08, 06:58 AM   #17
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Looks like the recent rains we got down here passed through Rabun County, too. A slight spike never hurts. Roiling the water, creating a faster more voluminous flow dislodges whatever bugs / nymphs are present from their hiding places twixt the rocks. I'd like to try a nasty-looking WB fished in the deepest water I could locate.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb...te_no=02177000

Tight lines!! (and a slo-o-ow dead-drift)
Jimmy