NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-08, 03:13 PM   #11
finless brown
Native

I fish the WS Tarpon 120 on the hooch. I love it, and haven't had any real problems. Then again, I have nothing to compare it to.
finless brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 09:01 PM   #12
Moye
Native

Second the two web sites recommended by Gonefishn. Those guys fish for anything, anywhere, anytime as long as they are doing it from a kayak. Also second, drive before you buy. You could probably test drive any brand you want by just asking on GRF and GKF. If you are considering an Ocean Kayak, shout out to RiverPirate on the GRF site. Randy reps for OK and has fished them all. He's got all the scoop on each one. He will also be doing a seminar at the Fly Fishing Festival in January. I ride a WS Tarpon 14 and like it but there are better ones out there, especially for the river.
Moye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 10:48 PM   #13
mike@jb
Native

I have an OK Caper and really like it. It's great in the Hooch. I do a lot of paddle upstream fish back down, and have no problem getting around. It's light enough (50lbs) to carry from the parking lot to the put-in, and straps on top of my SUV luggage rack fine.
I got mine at The Outside World.
mike@jb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 08:43 AM   #14
Riverpirate
Native

http://www.georgiakayakfishing.com/ is a great place to learn about fishing from a yak. I am a board member there and welcome all of you to join.

I have about every fishing kayak manufactured by Ocean Kayak. I'd be glad to let any of you test drive any of them. IMHO the Drifter is the best river yak especially for guys like me at or over 200 lbs. It does not track as well as some other models but it is very stable and turns quickly in the shoals. I can stand and fish from it.

BTW, I will be at the Atlanta Fly Fishing Show in January doing seminars about fishing from and choosing a yak if you would like to learn more.

Moye,
Thanks for the recommendation...just saw that!

Last edited by Riverpirate; 12-23-08 at 10:42 AM.
Riverpirate is offline   Reply With Quote