NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-08, 10:50 AM   #11
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Thumbs up Great message

NGTO is all about sharing the wealth of knowledge we have here, and Sam helped me get started months ago. Now it is an obsession, I furl for fun and my wife thinks I have gone nuts.

I have used about every type of line / thread you can imagine and if you start, have a trash bag handy, I threw away many a tangled birds nests.

If you haven't had a chance to throw a Unithread leader with a dry fly, you don't know what "soft" is.

RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 11:10 AM   #12
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

I agree. Unithread is my favorite. The fly lands so delicately looks almost as if it is floating down to the water.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 08:14 PM   #13
Steve L
Native

Default Thanks SS

Sam - Thanks for the time and effort you have put into this - great photos and directions. I built my jig based on your earlier directions and it has worked great.
Scott - sorry for the delay re info on the hair braider, but I found mine on Amazon, and also on eBay. You want the Conair Quick Braid - the 2 pin braider. Around $20 delivered. Haven't found one locally, but have not looked beyond WalMart and Target. (No, we're not trading beauty secrets, this will allow you to spin both legs of the leader at the same time, making sure that both legs are evenly spun.) Still working on the tippet rings.
Steve L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 09:27 PM   #14
RScott

Default Thank you

Be careful, I have made so many in so many colors and sizes I don't know what to do with them so I have taken to giving them away in the parking lot at Paces. It is just fun and once you fish them, you won't go back.

The rings are the ticket for Uni leaders and aren't hard to put on, I ordered 60 four weeks ago and am now out. I am going to order more this week and will look at getting 3 MMs as well, so let me know if you need some.

RScott

Old 06-09-09, 11:51 AM   #15
weshead
Stocker

Do you use these for dry flies only or for wet fly/nymphing as well?
weshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 11:10 PM   #16
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

I use this for both. It's an all purpose leader. If you want an even more delicate cast for dry flies you can substitute the mono for uni-thread and you will be amazed.

RScott,

I'm sure can elaborate further on the thread leaders.
Old 06-10-09, 08:12 AM   #17
discomidge
Native

Default leaders

Quick Question -

I have tried a couple of furled leaders out - still like RScott's the best. (have not tried slowstreamers yet)

I ordered a furled leader from streamside that had a small ring on the end. Every cast would make a small dimple in the water where the ring came down - not good for slower technical water. Is this common?

Jim
discomidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 11:46 PM   #18
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

Jim,

I have not used the ring yet. We will have to wait and hear from Scott or Steve.
Old 06-11-09, 06:34 AM   #19
RScott

Default Must be a big ring

DM -

Pretty sure the Uni I sent you for field testing had a 2MM ring on the tippet end, so the one you ordered must have been bigger to make a dimple. I did see an ad that had rings on them and from the photo they looked bigger than what I have used.

I am not much of a technical dry fly fisherman, and typically use a dry only to drop a nymph, but did last weekend and didn't notice a dimple with one of mine.

RScott

Old 11-12-09, 04:08 PM   #20
Bean Counter
Native

Scott,
Where are you ordering your tippet rings from?