NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Photos ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-09, 12:43 PM   #1
Gatorbyte
President

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte
Question NuCanoe vs. SOT Yak

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Yak and kinda like the NuCanoe. I was originally set at getting the Native but hear that they get stuck up an rocks and don't slide off so well like a Yak. So now I'm considering a SOT or NuCanoe. Anyone have any experience with NuCanoe?

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, your living proof of that "
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 01:30 PM   #2
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member

This is a review of a Native Watercraft (similar to NuCanoe) w/comparisons to SOTK by Drew Gregory. HTH
http://drewgregory.com/go/archives/10

Pros & cons both ways. It's a good problem to have!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 02:09 PM   #3
Gatorbyte
President

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Don:

Thanks for the info. When I saw you posted I was expecting something a little different. I thought for sure there would be some reference to the Dunkin' Donut.

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, your living proof of that "
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 02:38 PM   #4
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member

As much fun as a picture of you in a float tube, upside down, might be, I'm not sure I can take the shock!!!
Ergo, a straight answer.
Enjoy it...it may be a long time before it happens again!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 03:44 PM   #5
CU Tiger Fisherman
Native

Default I have a NuCanoe

and I love it. I have paddled it on the Hooch and on lake. It worked out great both times. I love the fact I could add a electric motor if I needed a little help getting the boat from point to point on the lake. I am planning on using it down on the coast this summer... I think the way it is rigged with anchor system is going to help a lot on dealing with the tides. It is also nice that I can change the setup to be tandem, fishing geared, paddling geared, etc. rather easily as it is well designed. I am not sure if there is a SOT that is set up at purchase to be that versatile.

I would be happy to talk live about it. Shoot me a PM if you want to send a # to call.

I have talked SOT vs. NuCanoe through with a few paddlers (who are occasional fishermen) and a few fishermen (who are occasional paddlers). The general consensus is that NuCanoe is the better fishing boat, a traditional SOT may be a better paddling boat.

In short, after my own research, the NuCanoe was the best for me. Depending on your preferences/needs, your answer could be different. Oh yeah... Up The River Outfitters is where I purchased my boat. They let me try different boats out on the river and treated me great. I am still plugging for them every chance I get.
CU Tiger Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 04:38 PM   #6
Dell Neighbours
Native

I'm leaning towards a NuCanoe myself. I checked one out at Appalachian Outfitters in Murphy, NC. I like the fact that it drafts in 6 inches of water and that you can stand up, can't do that in a yak...
Dell Neighbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 08:24 PM   #7
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default WIDE, stable boat,

GB standing in a small boat ? Naaaagh, don't think so. TRW
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 08:44 PM   #8
jeffg
Hall of Fame Member

On Nucanoe.. what is the weight of that sucker? especially when considering putting it on and taking it off the top of a jeep cherokee..
I have been debating a kayak for years, but those nucanoes seem very interesting, and interesting reviews on them too.
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 08:56 PM   #9
Grizzz
Past President, Advisory Board, Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via AIM to Grizzz Send a message via Yahoo to Grizzz

NuCanoe came down to a couple of our Fall Flings to show the boat off. The salesman that was with them before, Bucky, said he would bring one down anytime someone wanted to try it out. Bucky is no longer with them but you may want to contact them and see who the salesman is and if he would do the same thing. I am planning on contacting them again this year for the Fall Fling to see if they would like to display a boat.
Grizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 10:24 PM   #10
MariettaMike
Native

Default Test Rent

I think Up the River will let you rent one and then apply the rental cost towards purchase. Considering that includes shuttle service to dam or HWY 20 bridge and pu at Settles or Abbotts thats not a bad deal.

As a SOT owner I can confirm kayaks are great for paddling, especially upstream. Also really nice for coastal/lake fishing where it can be choppy and/or windy.

I can also confirm kayak's are not comfortable. Not even close to a pontoon boat or canoe. Fortunately you can slide in/out of a SOT fairly easy in knee deep water. I don't think you can do that with a NuCanoe, but if its comfortable you might not want to.

There is one pro to kayaks that I don't recall seeing and that is you can fit two kayaks on a car roof. I think the NuCanoe is too wide/heavy for that. However you can fit two (2) people in a NuCanoe so you might call it a wash, but when you consider two people fly fishing out of it you'll probably end of taking turns and then I guess its kinda like a small drift boat.

Its no wonder there are so many different kinds of boats.

PM me if you want to borrow my SOT.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote