NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Salt Water Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-10, 01:55 PM   #11
flyg
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador View Post
... what's the word from "Morone" world?
One fish during a long, cold day last weekend. This weekend I didn't get out. Lots of bait, birds, etc. up north in the creeks, but fish were sulky and who wants to mess with the cold? I envision another trip this coming weekend with pre- or mid-front conditions.

G
flyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 04:27 PM   #12
sightfisherman
Native

Very cool. Savannah has great sight-fishing for reds. the one thing SE Louisiana has that GA doesn't is 30+ lb fish in shallow water, but I've always felt that a healthy 8 or 9 lb red pulls harder than the biggest fish. Nice trout also
________
Ducati 500SL Pantah

Last edited by sightfisherman; 01-26-11 at 02:39 PM.
sightfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 10:21 AM   #13
Pescador
Native

FlyG ... would you be yaking this weekend, or using some other vessel?
Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 10:39 AM   #14
Pescador
Native

SightF ... I was delighted to learn about the opportunities to sight-fish in the Savannah area... I can't wait to go back! I grew up fishing in SE Louisiana and still go there whenever possible, but my personal experience has been that 30+ lb reds in shallow water are not common (at least in the places I frequent - Myrtle Grove and around Reggio/Hopedale/Delacroix Island). I do catch my share (maybe more than my share) of 7 - 15 lb reds. On the other hand, Captain Wagner told me about some places near Savannah where there are good numbers of bull reds at certain times of the year. He tells me he does indeed sight-cast to them and they will eagerly eat flies. In two full days, Scott Wagner delivered on everything he promised, so I intend to confirm this phenomenon myself! He also tells of catching tripletail on the fly. I love a good fish story when it is true. I am giddy with anticipation.
Old 01-12-10, 10:41 AM   #15
henryc
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
I'd like to thank Scott Wagner of Savannah Fly Fishing Charters for temporary relief from my serious case of saltwater withdrawals.
Next time you have the urge for relief but not the time to go to the coast, you need to call Buck Ernst for a "local" salt water experience. He lives a stones throw from Athens and has a wonderful fishery!

HC
henryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 11:20 AM   #16
flyg
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
FlyG ... would you be yaking this weekend, or using some other vessel?
By yak for sure. Would welcome company. I'll shoot you an email today...

G
flyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 02:45 PM   #17
Pescador
Native

HC... Buck is a great guy, and I think he knows ever striper and hybrid around here by name! If anyone in the Athens area can find 'em on top for sight-casting, he can.
Old 01-14-10, 06:23 PM   #18
sightfisherman
Native

Quote:
SightF ... I was delighted to learn about the opportunities to sight-fish in the Savannah area... I can't wait to go back! I grew up fishing in SE Louisiana and still go there whenever possible, but my personal experience has been that 30+ lb reds in shallow water are not common (at least in the places I frequent - Myrtle Grove and around Reggio/Hopedale/Delacroix Island). I do catch my share (maybe more than my share) of 7 - 15 lb reds. On the other hand, Captain Wagner told me about some places near Savannah where there are good numbers of bull reds at certain times of the year. He tells me he does indeed sight-cast to them and they will eagerly eat flies. In two full days, Scott Wagner delivered on everything he promised, so I intend to confirm this phenomenon myself! He also tells of catching tripletail on the fly. I love a good fish story when it is true. I am giddy with anticipation.

I grew up fly fishing in Savannah and it will always be my favorite fishery. I have heard about a few phenoms who catch BIG redfish on fly but I have never seen a red over 16-18 lbs swimming in the water. I have always heard really great things about Scott but have never fished with him.

Big fish in SE Louisiana is all about the time of year. Right now the best guides fishing out of Hopedale on the East and Port Sulphur on the West side are consistently getting shots at 30+lb fish and consistently catching 20+lb fish. These fish don't crawl with their backs out but they are in 2-3 feet and it is purely sightfishing. This 42lb fish was caught in 2.5-3 ft of water:

http://uptownangler.com/saltwater-fl...305-740057.jpg

Glad you had a great trip to Savannah, I hope you left some fish for me to chase when I visit for Easter
________
digital vaporizers

Last edited by sightfisherman; 01-26-11 at 02:40 PM.
sightfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 07:21 PM   #19
Pescador
Native

SightF ... I checked out that "Land of Giants site" - averaging one 30+ pounder per week is AMAZING!

"In the past 12 months, I have caught 3 fish over 50 pounds, 5 fish over 40 pounds, 53 fish over 30 pounds, and 300+ fish over 20 pounds. "

All the fish I caught in Savannah should still be swimming, and bigger by Easter. When you're in Savannah I'll probably be down in the Big Easy with my kayak chasing reds.

Last edited by Pescador; 01-14-10 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 06:23 PM   #20
kmox
Native

I had a couple of shots at the Bulls in shalllow water with Scott back in March 2009. They were big. He estimated 30lb+. Had one eat and spit it out before if could set the hook. I have it on video and it is almost too painfull to watch! Scott is the real deal when it comes to shallow water fly fishing around Savannah & HHI.

kmox
kmox is offline   Reply With Quote