NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Swap Shop
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-10, 08:30 PM   #1
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President

Default Ithaca Model 49 Saddle Rifle

I have for sale a neat little piece of American firearm history. This is a near mint condition Ithaca Model 49 .22 caliber Saddle Rifle. It is a breech loaded single shot .22 rifle, and was probably every kid's first gun in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. To fire this rifle, you must open the breech with the lever, load the bullet, then close the breech with the lever. You then have to manually pull and lock the hammer back in order to pull the trigger to fire the rifle. This makes for a very safe gun to teach a young child to shoot with. But make no mistake, this is not a toy. It is a very accurate rifle and many a squirrel and rabbit met it's demise at the hands of the Model 49!

I got lucky and bought this gun still brand new in the box back in the late 80's and put a few rounds through it just to see how it shot. Other than that, it has spent the last 20 years locked up in my gun safe. So if you have a youngin that you have been wanting to teach the art of target shooting, this is the rifle for you. These have not been made since the early 70's and finding one in this condition is pretty rare.

Price drop: $90 for this fine little gun. No shipping, you must come up to Kennesaw / Acworth area to pick up. First "I'll take it" gets it.

Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Buck Henry; 01-18-10 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Price Edit
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 11:25 PM   #2
narcodog
Native

That was the only gun my parents ever bought me when I was sixteen. As Buck says it is a great gun. I killed hundreds of squirrels with it around 85 and Pleasantdale Rd. before it got built up.

I just gave mine away to a friend who has a nine year old son. It is a great first gun. Shoot I just loved mine, can you tell.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 08:21 AM   #3
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Default Oh, Boy!

Mine is from the late 50's, and was my constant companion from age 9 thru 17.

When my son was approaching that age, I refinished teh stock, touched up the aluminum receiver and barrel, and it became his first firearm.

During our move in July, I re-discovered that rifle! This Christmas, my granddaughter became its owner. For several chilly hours on Christmas Day, my son and I were with her on their back porch, as a fresh box of CB caps (long) became a nearly empty box.

[FWIW - CB caps are my absolutely favorite .22 ammo. Consisting of primer compound + a pinch of powder, they are no louder than a modern spring air rifle. Aiming at a 1" target (6 o'clock hold), you're pointblank to 35 yards. The 29 grain bullet will completely penetrate small game, so be as careful as you would with regular ammo!]
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 08:54 AM   #4
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President

Bump and price drop: $90 bucks.
Hall of Fame Member
Old 01-18-10, 10:47 AM   #5
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Buck......

Oh boy, I'm going to get in trouble.........I'll take it dependent upon inspection.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 10:58 AM   #6
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President

Understood Russ, it is all yours. I think you will find it to your liking. Let me know when you want to hook up.
Hall of Fame Member
Old 01-18-10, 11:54 AM   #7
Gillseeker
Native

Buck, If Russ declines, I'll take it. It would look good on the wall next to my Winchester 1892 and 1894 saddle rifles. Back when I was hunting deer, I used the '94 exclusively. Still don't understand what is so sporting about killing deer with a 7mm and a 12X scope. Iron sites are the way to go.
Old 01-18-10, 02:55 PM   #8
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Understood Russ, it is all yours. I think you will find it to your liking. Let me know when you want to hook up.
Thursday looks good. I can arrange a site visit up that way but need to be back in Larryville by 4pm.
Old 01-18-10, 03:01 PM   #9
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillseeker View Post
Still don't understand what is so sporting about killing deer with a 7mm and a 12X scope. Iron sites are the way to go.
Not to be negative, but a 12X scope limits your field of view, especially when the animal is close. Lots of Oh Crap animals have been lost because of it due to closeness. Most guides recommend going to the lowest power and then magnifying it. Obviously, if you need a 12X scope then you have time to turn it up. And yes, most deer in GA are iron site distances, but most modern rifles now don't have them.
Old 01-18-10, 03:23 PM   #10
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President

Russ

PM Sent.
Hall of Fame Member