NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-10, 09:45 AM   #1
UGAflyfisher
Native

Default Entomology 101

After some thinking and some recent posts I've thought I would share with the board some information on basic entomology and how it relates to trout fishing. Hopefully, I can continue to add to this in the coming days and weeks.

First off insects aren't that complicated if you know how to divide and conquer. To easily split groups of insects up, one can look at how the transition from egg to adult. We call that metamorphosis which means change in life. Some insects (more primitive) go through incomplete metamorphosis also labeled as simple or hemimetabolous. This means that they have 3 main life stages which include egg, nymph and adult. The nymph is the immature stage and can look similar or completely different than the adult. Complete metamorphosis or holometabolous insects have 4 life stages and they are egg, larvae, pupa and adult. The larva stage is similar to the nymphal stage of hemimetabolous insects where the major growth happens but in holometabolous insects there is a non-feeding transition in the pupa stage. This pupa stage sets the table for the adult form.

Mayflies (Ephemeroptera) and Stoneflies (Plecoptera) go through incomplete metamorphosis and emerge into the adult form from nymphs. This is similar to other orders of insects including Dragonflies (Odonata). Caddisflies (Trichoptera) and Midges (Diptera) undergo complete metamorphosis so they add another stage and transition through life similarly to Butterflies (Lepidoptera).

For fly fisherman, this means that when targeting Caddisflies and Midges one might want to carry an extra fly or two to cover the pupa stage that can look and act different than the larva stage. The pupa stage is also extremely important during emergence or hatches and can be the difference in matching the hatch or not.

Check back soon for some information on how to better understand what’s going on during an insect hatch from the view of the insect.

Shine
UGAflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 01:10 PM   #2
Pittard
Native

Shine, thanks for the info. Good to see somebody I know on here. (reece akins budy from UGA Engineering)

-Matt
Pittard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 09:57 AM   #3
UGAflyfisher
Native

Matt,

It's good to hear from you. I didn't realize you were a trout fisherman, maybe if I get back up that way I'll let you know and we could fish some together. Hope everything is going well with you and your family.

Shine
Old 04-06-10, 10:09 AM   #4
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

Shine,

this is great information for all of us trying to figure out what is out there and what the fish are triggering on.

Buy any chance do you have any pictures to go with the insect descriptions ?
Old 04-06-10, 10:18 AM   #5
UGAflyfisher
Native

Since I don't personally have any pictures and don't want to deal with copyright. How about I add some links to my favorite entomological/trout fishing site; www.troutnut.com.

I'll work on that today or tomorrow and see if I can't make the post a little easier with some pictures.

Shine
Old 04-06-10, 10:23 AM   #6
bayview
Native

I know this might sound kind of elementary, but I would like to have a card the size of a charge card. On it would have the shapes of the different bugs and their cycle. Basics of Caddis, Mayfly, etc.. One the other side are basics like hook sizes and other basic information. This could be accessible in wader pocket or where ever. Just an idea.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 10:39 AM   #7
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAflyfisher View Post
Since I don't personally have any pictures and don't want to deal with copyright. How about I add some links to my favorite entomological/trout fishing site; www.troutnut.com.

I'll work on that today or tomorrow and see if I can't make the post a little easier with some pictures.

Shine

That sounds great Shine !

I just think that will help folks visualize what they are seeing.
Old 04-06-10, 10:52 AM   #8
UGAflyfisher
Native

Hmmm. I might be able to design something like that. It could be printed out on a home computer and then clear taped over to laminate it. In my spare time I'll see what I can do to fit into a smaller area like that.

For the time being I'll upload a printable .pdf to my personal website that has some quick information with some general pictures of different insect and their stages, along with some flies that you could match them with.

http://web.me.com/shine.taylor/Site/...Entomology.pdf

Shine

Last edited by UGAflyfisher; 04-06-10 at 11:01 AM. Reason: to add link
Old 04-06-10, 11:38 AM   #9
GeoMike
Native

Thumbs up

THANKS!
I just saved a copy of that .pdf file. That will be helpful for me.
GeoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 12:17 PM   #10
tboy
Native

Thanks for the info! Been interested in this stuff for a long time. I know many of us are grateful for your initiative to educate.

I am trying to build a small collection of preserved specimens for teaching purposes. Are there any books you would suggest for learning how to id and categorize down to a specific species?