NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What are the best flys?
wooly boogers 17 43.59%
beaded nymphs 20 51.28%
Y2K's 2 5.13%
San Juan Worm 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-10, 03:45 AM   #1
Fly_Gentlemen
Stocker

Question Hooch Info for Dummies

Hey I'm new to the sport, I've started off good but I could always use some good advice from more experienced fly fishers. Me and my bud are partaking learning how to fish in the paces ferry area of the Hooch. I have a couple questions that I would love for multiple people to answer below:

1) What are some awesome fly's I can use to get bites and learn to catch these trout with?
2) What is an accurate and precise way to find out water clarity and when the dam is generating so we can get a somewhat accurate idea of how high the water, and if possible can help explain how to read these gauges?
3) Good techniques to set hooks
4) Other good local spots to fish around the paces vining's area?
5) And an updated opinion on if the fishing is good in this area?

I would really appreciate it, we started on Saturday and I caught 5, caught 1 this past Tuesday, and caught 2 today Wednesday! I'd really appreciate alot of feedback and this site is awesome thanks everybody and I have pictures if anyone wants to see what I caught
Fly_Gentlemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 08:44 AM   #2
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Welcome to the board.

All are good flies at times.

My suggestion is learn to use the "search" functions here on the board. There are a lot of tidbits there without throwing out a bunch of specific details. Folks are helpful but tend to frown on the "tell me everything you know" type of post if you don't get many responses.

Get out on the river as much as possible and fish it. The more you do the better you will become.

Last edited by bod_admin; 04-15-10 at 08:59 AM.
THE EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 10:06 AM   #3
finless brown
Native

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/uv...65,00060,00062

Will tell you how high. If you see a spike on the discharge graph, its probably a little stained for good trout fishing. MFD has made a concerted effort to keep the river muddy this spring so be sure to check before you go! Good luck!
finless brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 10:23 AM   #4
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

1) What are some awesome fly's I can use to get bites and learn to catch these trout with?
Any of the ones you mentioned. Add a caddis dry fly to the mix as mentioned in other posts this week.

2) What is an accurate and precise way to find out water clarity and when the dam is generating so we can get a somewhat accurate idea of how high the water, and if possible can help explain how to read these gauges?
See Finless's post.

3) Good techniques to set hooks
Not needed. Just keep pressure on the fish, as in don't let the line slacken.

4) Other good local spots to fish around the paces vining's area?
Anywhere on the Hooch. They have maps at the parking fee station that show you where is accessible.

5) And an updated opinion on if the fishing is good in this area?

Pretty decent. No trout in the heat of summer. Panfish and bass instead. Rain tends to blow out the river for several days.

Good luck, this is one of the best times of the year.

One side note - "Gentlemen" is the plural form of "Gentleman". Perhaps you were thinking phonetically.
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 10:29 AM   #5
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

FG

All good questions, answers will border on religious wars, but good questions. All the flies you listed are great DH flies, boogers and PT's are good everywhere.

Trout fishing near Vinings is only good during the winter (Nov-May) as it is the Delayed Harvest, so you only have about another month. The good news is that just upriver both Island Ford and Jones Bridge can produce good trout fishing year round.

Good techniques for hooksets? lift up when you think you feel a bite, if you find one that works more than 50% of the time, please post here.

The gauge that finless posted shows the water level in the area you are interested in, and is a good guide, but experience is the key as what is "wadeable". If you have any doubts, don't do it.

Welcome to the madness, and try to connect with folks on this board so they can help you out.

RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 01:31 PM   #6
Fly_Gentlemen
Stocker

Thanks for all the helpful information just trying get in the mix of things. I wasn't trying to ask questions that where to general but yeah i do kind of need to ask those because im starting from step one! but i am excited about the "Madness" and to my friend who commented on my screen name, its meant to be in Gentlemen is meant to be in plural form because me and my roommate share this screen name. Anymore helpful tips would greatly be appreciated though!

Last edited by Fly_Gentlemen; 04-15-10 at 01:36 PM.
Fly_Gentlemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 02:09 PM   #7
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

FG(s)

You will have to forgive lewdogg, he has a PhD in the plurality of nouns, and has his Masters in "Poke in the eye" humor...

But he can help you catch fish if you listen, just don't make fun of his mullet, he is real proud of it

RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 02:18 PM   #8
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

"Just an average guy with exceptional hair. Nothing more, nothing less."
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 03:09 PM   #9
finless brown
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg View Post
"Just an average guy with exceptional hair. Nothing more, nothing less."
LOL Kenny!
finless brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 05:46 PM   #10
mudpuppy
Hall of Fame Member, Formerly Known as sandpuppy formerly known as mudpuppy

use wrist snap to set the hook. FG, if you'll pm me your email address, I'll send you some of Dredgers fishing tips.
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

~by Charles Kuralt-1990~
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote