NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > Suggestion Box
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-10, 02:19 PM   #1
Ted
Native

Question Tailwater River Rise Videos? As a Sticky?

All the threads about tailwaters, checking the release schedule, wear your PFD, get out when water begins to rise, etc. got me thinking.

With all the new video cameras out there among the collectve and the video editing and posting skills around here I wonder if folks could shoot some video of river rises during generation while they are out and about? I don't know if everyone, especially newbies can picture what is meant by "dramatic and sudden water rises".

I've seen Buford fire up generation in person standing on the people-bridge below the tailrace "rock cut". Impressive rise and I took some still photos. Ditto for Lloyd Shoals on Ocmulgee. I got a taste of a small hydro dam river release in Geneva a fews weeks ago when they opened up two gates on very low dam on the Rhone. It created some serious whitewater and elevated river flows downstream. It is one thing to see high water from an ongoing release when you show up or drive by, it is something else to actually see it rise and see rocks and other landmarks dissappear quickly.

Anyway, just a thought. I lack a video camera and proximity to hydro dams to shoot releases myself.

TH
Old 05-06-10, 06:34 PM   #2
merganser
Native

Default Good Idea

I've been caught by surprise in the SoHo when the water started coming up. I was several miles downstream from the dam and was not keeping a close enough eye on the watch.

I DID teach me a lesson.
merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 08:28 AM   #3
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Thumbs up Super Idea!

Tailwaters provide fishing access for many people, and I guarantee very few of those anglers have any real appreciation for that "sudden rise and violent turbulence" mentioned on those signs nobody reads.
Windknot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 08:46 AM   #4
paulH
Native

Default Water rise

My son and I have sat and watched the change in water levels below Bowmans and it is significant. Probably about
4' in water level change and extreme current change.
paulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 04:58 PM   #5
phlyster
Native

Default Good idea!

Yeah that is a good idea. I've seen the release at the dam before as well. I imagine that waders and tubers have a decent respect for the rapid rise and turbulent flows. I question however the shore fishermen. A lot of those banks around the dam are very steep and some body types may have trouble scaling the bank, or if they wait to late they may not find there way up in time. Because it is literally 2 minutes until the river rises 3 or 4 feet.

I'm not saying that fire and rescue aren't well trained in river rescue, but you may not survive the shock of the freezing 48'degree water w/ 4ft rapid rise for the 5 minutes it would take the rescue crew to life flight a rescue team, or the 10 minutes it may take for the boat rescue to get there.

I'm just saying.
phlyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 01:01 PM   #6
HaMm3r
Stocker

Hey there, first time poster here, and I am hopeful that someone can answer a topic-related question for me. From the time they sound the warning horns at Buford Dam, how much time is there until they start releasing?

The reason I ask is this. I am planning to wade between the dam and Bowman's Island for the first time on the 18th, and although I believe I have all my proper safety gear in order, I've never seen a release there. I will call the Army Corp to check the schedule ahead of time, but I'd still like to know what to expect if the horns sound.

Real quick background info; I'm a Florida fly-angler that has fly-fished the hooch a few times before. Last time I was at Settles, I witnessed a release first-hand, so I have a feel for what it's like farther downstream.

So anyway, I appreciate any info/warnings/tips, and if you happen to be at Settles Bridge on the 17th or Bowman's on the 18th and see some fool who doesn't look like he knows what he's doing, that'll probably be me.
HaMm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 02:08 PM   #7
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

1st siren is sounded at the time posted for the beginning of a release.

2nd siren is sounded 5 minutes later. You should definitely start working your way to shore if you have not all ready.

3rd siren is sounded 5 minutes after the 2nd and if your no where near the shore you better double time it cause if you look up toward the dam it is right after the 3rd siren that you start seeing the water churning and within the next minute or so even the easily wadeable areas are too turbulent to cross.

Then I think for the next half hour they sound the siren every 5 minutes, but by this time if you were wading, you're either taking off your waders or SOL.

P.S. Next time I'm up that way before a release I'll try to capture. Maybe Wet Fly will be there and we can capture on his camera that can do 720p HD.

Last edited by SlowStreamer; 07-06-10 at 02:12 PM.
SlowStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 09:43 PM   #8
HaMm3r
Stocker

Thank you SlowStreamer! That is exactly the information I couldn't seem to find anywhere. At least I now know I have ten minutes to get to shore, and with my wading ineptitude, I'll probably need every second!
HaMm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 10:37 PM   #9
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowStreamer View Post
P.S. Next time I'm up that way before a release I'll try to capture. Maybe Wet Fly will be there and we can capture on his camera that can do 720p HD.
Who knows? I just may get up there tomorrow morning and see what we can see. Clear skies and low humidity should equal decent fishing. But, Germany and Spain play tomorrow in a semi-final game, which will be dynamite, so I am having second thoughts. I am torn....

There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart
Wet Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 05:58 AM   #10
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Last year I shot some video, of the rising water just above Bowman's Island. The video really wasn't nearly impressive as it was in person. Probably because of the location I was at. Maybe if I was at the bridge it would have come out better.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote