NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > Suggestion Box
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-10, 10:45 PM   #11
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

OK, here's some video I shot the other day of the river rising once the release starts. Do forgive the shaky hands and amateur video and editing. The first clip has the flow before the release, and you can hear the first siren being sounded, and then half way through the clip, the second. In real life, the sirens are 5 minutes apart. I had to edit to meet the upload file size limits. The second clip starts just seconds before the third siren is sounded and it runs uninterrupted for 5:25 sec. I cut out 90sec at this mark and when it picks back up it runs without breaks until the end of the clip. As you will see, 5 minutes is all it really takes for the river to rise significantly. That tree limb near side was a foot underwater by the time I left. My guess is that the river rose roughly 6 feet. SlowStreamer and I have witnessed this many times from a safe distance; it is truly a remarkable transformation. It is best to be out of the river before you hear the siren, but if you happen to lose the sense of time I would take SlowStreamer's evacuation instructions very, very seriously. Even this shallow, flat stretch turned into a raging torrent in a matter of minutes. Always wear a PFD and be safe out there.

There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart

Last edited by SlowStreamer; 03-29-11 at 05:17 PM.
Wet Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 12:28 AM   #12
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

Nice footage WF.

I'll try to get some of these from the creek perceptive to show how quickly the exposed rocks down that way get totally covered in no time at all.

Last edited by SlowStreamer; 07-15-10 at 07:53 PM.
SlowStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:03 PM   #13
SlowStreamer

OK, here's my go at trying to document what the water release looks like below Buford Dam. I captured today's 3:55 release and I tried to concentrate on the rocks above Bowman's Island. You will notice how quickly the water rises between the 3rd and 4th siren.

I had all the clips broken up but put them all together and was surprised PhotoBucket accepted the file size.

Last edited by SlowStreamer; 02-10-12 at 11:08 PM.
SlowStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 12:28 AM   #14
Ted
Native

Thumbs up

Yes, yes yes! Those are great. That is exactly what I was talking about.

And I thought you all were like my wife and didn't listen to me.

This may save someone having a real bad day. Tailwater releases are nothing to take lightly. Turbines move some water and fast.

Even UPSTREAM of pumpback projects there can be some serious water. Once upon a time I worked on the Russell Dam pumpback project and we sampled fish in the lake above the dam all night during pumpback operations. When they ran the turbines it was like we were on the ocean. We had to wear PFDs and they had COE Ranger boat stationed at the buoy line to rescue any of us if we fell in.

TH
Old 07-16-10, 09:25 AM   #15
HaMm3r
Stocker

Thank you, thank you!!

Now if I do get over there this weekend I'll at least know what to expect if the siren sounds.
HaMm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 11:26 AM   #16
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowStreamer View Post
OK, here's my go at trying to document what the water release looks like below Buford Dam. I captured today's 3:55 release and I tried to concentrate on the rocks above Bowman's Island. You will notice how quickly the water rises between the 3rd and 4th siren.

I had all the clips broken up but put them all together and was surprised PhotoBucket accepted the file size.

[phbckvid]http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad249/NGTO_PhotoBucket/misc/BufordDamWaterRelease.mp4[/phbckvid]
I get a white "?" inside a light blue "Q" for the previous videos from Slowstreamer and Wetfly (and elsewhere on the board). Anybody know what I am missing that I need to see these videos?
THE EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 01:08 PM   #17
Ted
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaMm3r View Post
Thank you, thank you!!

Now if I do get over there this weekend I'll at least know what to expect if the siren sounds.
One should experience "The Doppler Effect", as the sound of the siren should get lower in pitch as the sound waves stretch out because you should be running the other direction, and fast!

TH

P.S. it is science - check it out The Doppler Effect for Sound

Classic Doppler Effect With a Train Video
Old 07-16-10, 05:22 PM   #18
SlowStreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post
I get a white "?" inside a light blue "Q" for the previous videos from Slowstreamer and Wetfly (and elsewhere on the board). Anybody know what I am missing that I need to see these videos?

EG I did a detailed write up on this problem ..... You telling me you did not take the time to read it .........

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ad.php?t=80664
Old 01-06-11, 08:55 PM   #19
dawsonstreams
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyster View Post
Yeah that is a good idea. I've seen the release at the dam before as well. I imagine that waders and tubers have a decent respect for the rapid rise and turbulent flows. I question however the shore fishermen. A lot of those banks around the dam are very steep and some body types may have trouble scaling the bank, or if they wait to late they may not find there way up in time. Because it is literally 2 minutes until the river rises 3 or 4 feet.

I'm not saying that fire and rescue aren't well trained in river rescue, but you may not survive the shock of the freezing 48'degree water w/ 4ft rapid rise for the 5 minutes it would take the rescue crew to life flight a rescue team, or the 10 minutes it may take for the boat rescue to get there.

I'm just saying.
Wow extreme...
dawsonstreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 02:25 PM   #20
zug buggin
Native

I've only had one problem on the Hooch, years ago before all the subdivisions I forgot about the time and got caught by rising water about 1/2 mile downstream from Settles, I was in a stretch where the banks were straight up kinda scary.

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote