NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Casting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-10, 10:58 AM   #11
bobframe
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaMike View Post
Overhang gets everybody. To avoid that keep your line low to the water.

Stand in the stream near the opposite bank from where you intend to fish. With your rod pointed downstream let your rig drift straight downstream from you about the same distance as it is to your target. Make a side arm casting stroke about 1' off the water towards your target.

The water will put tension in the line to bend your rod and cast your rig low above the water when it breaks free. Practice going straight upstream to get the hang of it.

You can also practice by walking in grass to simulate the stream. Clean your line after.
This is referred to as a "water haul" and is an extremely effective way of dealing with obstructions behind you.

You can speed up this process by actually casting directly down stream and when your line and leader have straightened out and your rod is pointed downstream...then do a back cast type motion towards your upstream target. No false casts..just haul it and let it land. Don't leave the fly and indicator in the downstream position for long...it will eventually hang up on something.

As Mike says, the tension of the line against the water will load your rod and the line will break free from the water and fly in whatever direction you have pointed your rod. I find this more fun and easier to control than roll casting.

When I was teaching my son to fly fish this is one of the first techniques I taught him on the Chattooga...he learned this quickly and the bitching about the trees behind us stopped. He never did learn to roll cast.
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 04:33 PM   #12
zug buggin
Native

Its no different than golf and water. The first thing I do at the golf course is throw 2 balls into the lake to satisfy the golf Gods. When you get to the river hang 2 flies in the trees to satisfy the Trout Gods then go fishing

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote