NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-10, 10:13 PM   #1
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

Default Four Different Weaving Techniques

It's amazing what you can find if you know where to look (and if you know the language). Here's a great demo of four different weaving techniques by a prominent French fly tier. He starts out with the no frills Overhand (or Knot) Weave, which can be used to build bodies in a variety of patterns: caddis and mayfly loop or parachute emergers, caddis larvae, or any other grubby looking pattern, etc.

Then he demos the Parallel (or Shuttle) Weave, which is the preferred weave for the Polish woven nymphs. For this one, he has the hook facing away from him. I find it easier to do the weave with the hook facing me. You gotta maintain even tension while shuttle weaving or you may find yourself expanding your vocabulary with some new words.

The third weave he does is the Chequer Weave. He uses only one strand of chenille to build the chequered back but I've seen O. Edwards do this weave with three strands of chenille and the effect is amazing. The technique is the same, only you weave with three strands of chenille on top instead of one. This is a great weave for big meaty stone flies. Prowler: hint, hint .

The last weave he does is the Half Hitch Weave. This is another fairly easy weave and and can be used in any pattern calling for alternating body colors.

You can use a great variety of different materials for weaving. Obviously, micro chenille is one, but I have also used both the DMC embroidery thread and DMC satin floss with great results. Wire is another tying medium you can use; also larva lace, hollow tubing, even peacock herl and PT fibers, etc, etc. Just make sure you choose a lighter color for the ventral surface and darker for the dorsal .

Happy Weaving!

Here's the Youtube link.

A classic is something everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.
Mark Twain

Last edited by SlowStreamer; 06-14-11 at 11:25 AM.
Wet Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 07:50 AM   #2
nu2trout
Native

Very cool thanks for the link.
Couple of questions;
what type of hook or what was he placing on the hook prior to weaving?
What type of material was he using to tie?
Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs even though checkered with failure, than to take ranks with those poor spirits who never enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
nu2trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 01:16 PM   #3
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

nu2,
he did not say what hook. He's just using a big one to facilitate the demo. You can use as small as #14 to weave on (I have). Also, he is using chenille to weave with. As for the base, he does not say, but you can tie in two lengths of chenille, or lead wire, on both sides of the hook to get that flat look. Or you can use a heavy thread, like 3/0, or 210 der, to build up the base for a more round body.

Mark Twain
Old 11-20-10, 04:58 PM   #4
nu2trout
Native

Ok I was wondering what the body was on the hook. It has a nice taper to it and I thought it might be that way from the factory.
As for the chenille was it a really small size?
I will have to give it a try. I like to weave wire.
Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs even though checkered with failure, than to take ranks with those poor spirits who never enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
nu2trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 11:07 PM   #5
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

Oh, I see. But yeah, you build the base yourself and tie off prior to weaving. As for the chenille, he does not say, but I would try that nice smooth ultra chenille (micro chenille), and not the bushy stuff, on a standard streamer hook and take it from there. And wire is also a great weaving medium.

Mark Twain
Old 12-21-10, 10:25 AM   #6
fly on the wall
Native

I like the way John Goddard solved the problem of putting color under his deer hair caddis. Tie in chennile or thread with dubbing at the bend of the hook, pull under and tie off. I've used this method on dries, wets and nymphs with cool results. A rib run through the body gives the woven effect.
Old 06-19-12, 10:00 AM   #7
hbhager
Native

Default Weaving

Looking back at old posts ,I came across this thread
I have Oliver Edwards DVD Essential Patterns (Woven Flies) it is a little pricey ,I think it was around $50.00
If anyone is interested in a copy ,pm me for price
hbhager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 05:37 AM   #8
2fly
Native

Thanks Moe for posting the video. This has got me motivated to tie a few of these for my box. Gonna get some materials this weekend.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 08:46 PM   #9
Dr. Strangelove
Native

Whoo-Hoo! Thanks for posting this! I'm on number two right now! Not quite picture worthy yet, but they ain't bad.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote