NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Sponsor Forums > The Fish Hawk
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-11, 08:32 AM   #11
BrandonT
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldea View Post
Try walking into a strip club for the free lunch/dinner buffet.
Who goes to a "free" buffet carrying 500 bucks in all 20's and 1's
"Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!" - author unknown
BrandonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 10:46 PM   #12
TroutSniper
Native, Formerly Known as LoggerHeadBowBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
You think that little shopping excursion was painful, try walking into Chuck's Firearms next door!
Never bought anything in there but I know what you mean. The one time I went in there I saw nothing but Kimber pistols and Beretta Black Onyx OH Shotguns and the like. You go in there plannin to spend money you will be spendin alot of it.

"That old whisky drinking, bluegrass listening, Carhartt wearing, all night roaming rambler he'll always be." Yonder Mountain String Band

Official GATOR HATER
TroutSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-11, 08:04 AM   #13
tommyking
Native

Dude there's two Fly Shop over buy me hear.You think trout fishing is bad try salt water fly fishing.Last week I spent 640.00 on a new reel and this week I spent 160.00 on stuff to tye salt water flies.next week I'm getting a new 9 0r 10 wt stickIve got a ton of money on trout rods and now I'm getting geared up for the salt
Old 02-20-11, 06:05 PM   #14
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Hey Tommy- you need a job in the Middle East. Ain't no fishin' in the sand.
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-11, 06:33 PM   #15
Erik Hove
Native

The Fish Hawk sure is one heck of a store. It is almost impossible to escape the "lure" if you catch my "drift". I have gone in there several times strictly to shoot the breeze and catch up with some of the guys, and walked out with a wallet that is $50 bucks lighter.

::::::::::::::::::Check Out The RJF Blog::::::::::::::::::
Erik Hove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-11, 06:49 PM   #16
tommyking
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry creech View Post
Hey Tommy- you need a job in the Middle East. Ain't no fishin' in the sand.
You got that right TerryHeck that might not be a bad ieda.
Old 02-20-11, 10:44 PM   #17
raptor
Native

Default I know the feeling

I made a visit to the FH recently for the first time in a very long time. I needed to replace my old leaky Hodgeman pant waders. The last time I was there was about 15 yrs ago ? Had my mind set on a SAGE but after going in the parking lot and casting about a half-dozen rods, I purchased a Diamond Back All American. Still one of my "go to" rods on small streams (4 wt, 7'). Well, on this visit, Bob (I think that's his name) allowed me to try-on all types of waders and he was very knowledgeable about the products (as I remembered from my last visit). Ended up getting me the SIMMS Headwater waders. Which at my age, may be the last pair I'll ever purchase. (The Hodgemans lasted almost 10 yrs !).. I totally encourage anyone in the market for fishing stuff to support our local vendors. These guys are great. Now, I did see the gun shop next door.... But, just close my eyes and walked very fast past that place.... A new shotgun would be just too much for me to have to splain to the wife. Didn't know about the strip club...
raptor
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 09:06 AM   #18
W. Donald Newton
Native

Cool The key to managing your affliction ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
So I love this shop!! I just walked in today to get some hooks and beads for the flies I am donating to our NGTO event and I walked out with about $100.00 worth of supplies. Does anybody else share this curse? Oh well, I guess it is money well spent!
... is to take the time to write out a list of items that you really need. Put that list in your pocket and go to the Fish Hawk. Of course, if you're like me, you leave the list on the kitchen table as you charge out the door in a fit of self control OR you forget that you have the list on your person. FH likes it that way.
Old 02-21-11, 07:43 PM   #19
kevin m
Native

I worked a block away from them for a few years. Needless to say I have a nice colletion of gear. I have learned to be true to my needs though and managed to only spen 40 dollars there on Saturday. My brother in law, who just was tagging along, walked out with a new Nautilus reel, spare spool, and a crap load of flies.....

By the way I love Nautilus slogan. On the box it says "tested on animals"
kevin m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 08:51 AM   #20
FishWillie
Native

yeah a list, that's it. When I do get to make it to real fly fishing shop from way down here in warner bubba it's like a kid in a candy store. I can touch and feel it and see it. It's almost as bad as going to a jewelry store, those little bags cost lots of money. Although this last weekend while up in Helen, I got out of UO with only 1 spool of thread. 2 bucks and I got change back !!! Of course this is because I forgot to buy it on my first trip to the store, ker plunk.....
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote