NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Food & Cooking
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-13, 09:48 PM   #11
REDTOP
Hall Of Fame Member, Moderator

Cheesy Chicken Chili over nacho chips tonite.

Old 04-06-13, 09:49 PM   #12
Swamp Angel
President

I wasn't hungry 'til I saw that!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 03:14 PM   #13
curt bird
Native

Default Viking Sushi

Traditional Gravlax can take 4-5 days to make/cure but fast Gravlax is simple and fast to make. It’s also quite unique and few people outside Norway seem to know about it. Once made you can keep it covered for days in the Frig. You can also scale it up as you need without a problem. I usually prepare about ½ lb of salmon. Your guests will certainly comment!

Gravlax - Viking Sushi
½ lb salmon (freshest you can find but previously frozen will work – Atlantic or Pacific will work as well)
3 Tbsp Salt
3 Tbsp Sugar
Fresh Dill Weed – 2 Tbsp chopped finely and a few more sprigs to garnish

Mustard Dressing
3 Tbsp Dijon or other sharp mustard (grainy mustards also work or use honey mustard and omit the honey below)
1 Tbsp Honey
Fresh Dill Weed – 1 Tbsp chopped finely

Directions
Slice raw salmon across the grain and on an angle from top to bottom (skin side down) to make very thin wide slices.

Mix the chopped dill, the salt and sugar in a bowl and evenly distribute half of the mixture over a large dinner plate.

Arrange the salmon slices on the plate laying them carefully on the dill/salt/sugar layer.

Distribute the other half of the dill/salt/sugar mixture evenly on top of the salmon slices and leave for about 30 min at room temperature uncovered
You should see distinct changes to the color and texture of the fish as it rapidly cures – becoming darker and much firmer.

Rinse off the dill/salt/sugar and any excess water/juice from the fish and pat dry.

Arrange on a new plate for presentation – a radial pattern is kind of cool!

Garnish with a few sprigs of fresh dill.

Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and serve with the fish (in the center of the radial pattern is also cool).

Place a piece of fish on an unflavored cracker and dab with dressing and a sprig of dill to serve.

Bon appetit! Curt.
curt bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 12:52 PM   #14
curt bird
Native

I am surprised this did not bring more comment. Either the NGTO crew are far more wordly and knowledgable than I realised or they are a bunch of closet Vikings! Could be either I suppose but you really need to try this one...... Curt.
Old 04-09-13, 02:17 PM   #15
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

The gravlax had caught my attention this morning, Curt. Looks interesting, fun, and delicious.

In defense of the forum, most of us are blinded by Redtop's thread-de-jour. Smoky pig, brisket and chicken tends to send me running from this forum in search of food!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 03:38 PM   #16
REDTOP
Hall Of Fame Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
The gravlax had caught my attention this morning, Curt. Looks interesting, fun, and delicious.

In defense of the forum, most of us are blinded by Redtop's thread-de-jour. Smoky pig, brisket and chicken tends to send me running from this forum in search of food!
Aw Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds interesting Curt!
Old 04-09-13, 05:13 PM   #17
countrybuckaroo
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt bird View Post
I am surprised this did not bring more comment. Either the NGTO crew are far more wordly and knowledgable than I realised or they are a bunch of closet Vikings! Could be either I suppose but you really need to try this one...... Curt.
As much as I love seafood......... I ain't eating raw oysters or salmon. I have tried both and not for me.

Kurt
countrybuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 04:21 PM   #18
curt bird
Native

OK but this isn't "RAW" - its salt/sugar cured which is similar to how pork and other meats are cured. Yes I know you still cook pork but you don't get Trichinosis from fish - fortunately!
Old 06-24-13, 09:48 PM   #19
Brotherbear
Native

Looking for some Chow Chow recipes.Anybody got a favorite they would like to share.
Old 06-12-14, 11:21 AM   #20
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...a year late, Bro...but, Cath was raised in Charleston, SC and received a copy of this when we were married, 8-19-78, ...

https://www.jlcharleston.org/?nd=full&key=13

...the chow-chow recipe is on page 334 and there is a green tomato chow-chow recipe on the lower half of page 334...not hawking the book, you must understand...having said that, in nearly 36 years of our wedded lives, nothing she has cooked using this cookbook has disappointed me...

Attachment 13135

...what a life!

Blessings!

Jimmy

Last edited by Counslrman; 07-20-14 at 10:41 AM.
Counslrman is online now   Reply With Quote