NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-11, 08:54 PM   #1
kukukajoo
Native

Default How do you keep track of line weights on your reels?

I thought I would always just know which line was what, but of course now I have no clue on a couple of my reels.

Going forward, I think I need to mark them somehow and wonder what methods you all use?

I just got an Orvis Access and need to set it up, will be buying extra spools for another weight as well.

Just how do you keep track of the line weights on your reels and spools?
kukukajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 09:39 PM   #2
Riverpirate
Native

I cut the tab off the box and put it in the reel cover. I have not found a way to actually mark the reel.
Old 11-07-11, 09:45 PM   #3
sparsehackle
Native

I mark rings with a sharpie on the end of the fly line where I attach the leader. Each narrow ring (about 1/16" wide) is a line weight, and each thick ring (about 1/4" wide) denotes a 5 wt. For example: 4 thin rings = 4 wt; one thick ring + 2 thin rings = 7 wt., etc., etc.

Last edited by sparsehackle; 11-07-11 at 09:55 PM.
sparsehackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 06:52 AM   #4
sygma
Native

You can buy Scientific Angler's line that comes marked from the factory, or you can have a Nautilus FWX reel which comes with a special spot on the spool where you can write with a sharpie the weight of the line.
sygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 07:38 AM   #5
B Kar Ma
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Small sticky label with weight of line marked on it and attached to the underside of where the reel attaches to the rod - whatever that is called!

Unicoi did that for me the last line I bought from them.
Old 11-08-11, 08:00 AM   #6
Egg Sucking Leach
Native

Most lines these days have a pre-printed sticky label, ie DT3F, WF5F, DC24' 200gr, etc. Peel that off the package and stick it on the spool somewhere out of the way.

Handy for those of us afflicted with CRS.
Egg Sucking Leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 08:00 AM   #7
VPW001
Native

I have the same problem. You can weigh the front 30 feet of a line to get at its weight. There is a standard that will give you a comfort level on the older lines. http://www.common-cents.info/aftma.pdf

I print plastic labels on a Brother P-touch and stick them to an appropriate surface on the inside wall of the spool. On a Grey's reel where there was not much space, I put the labels on the inside of each spool where it fits on the spindle.

This adds some further complications. http://www.common-cents.info/part4.pdf and this is the whole piece which includes the standards chart I was looking for. http://www.common-cents.info/part1.pdf

Dam*. I think I am going to peel the wt labels off all my reels now. .

Last edited by VPW001; 11-08-11 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added links
VPW001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 10:52 AM   #8
franklinZappa
Native

I use different color backing.
franklinZappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 11:40 AM   #9
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukukajoo View Post
I just got an Orvis Access and need to set it up, will be buying extra spools for another weight as well.
I like sparsehackle idea, if you can remember the code and don't cut off the end of the line for some reason. Of course, you could set up an Excel spreadsheet and keep up with it that way. The simple answer to your question is to write it on the back side of the spool since you are going to be using different spools on the same frame.
UncleJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 11:52 AM   #10
Ted
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinZappa View Post
I use different color backing.
Interesting idea. Assuming you keep that color code somewhere.

I think I got small stickers with some Courtland lines in the past and put them on the back of the spool. I Like the reel foot idea until I change out the spool with a different line type and weight.

I think the line marking code idea might be good too. I guess if you cut off the line end for some reason you could always remark it.

Now, how do I mark my terminal tippet size? That is the $1M question.

I used to have some tippet that came in different colors for different sizes/wts. Long straight pieces not spooled. Stored in thin plastic tubing with a barrel swivel clip on the end. About the size of aquarium airline tubing. You could supposedly clip to your vest and keep it inside or flip it onto your back under the vest. Got old and brittle so it went away.

TH