NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-11, 03:43 PM   #21
hendley97
Native

I put dots with a Sharpie on the backside of the spool.
hendley97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 04:17 PM   #22
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

Not to sounds like a smartas, but I just remember it.

Unless your a guide, one of these nymph competing fisherman, or super into spey fishing, there shouldn't be too much need for similar looking lines to get confused.

I have 4 reels right now. 2 for 8-9 wt, 2 for 5-6 wt. One of each size has floating, one or each size intermediate or sinking. I store the rest of my lines (various sinking) on their original spools and boxes and change once or twice a year for a special trip.
mlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 05:02 PM   #23
nielson
Native

lewdogg, some of us just aren't that organized and need every trick out there. Jim
nielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 05:20 PM   #24
Danny
Native

That was easy to understand the way you explained it and the pictures put it all together. Thanks Kent.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 05:44 PM   #25
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Dashes and dots is what I've always used. Just skip that section when you clean or treat the line or you may erase it down to real faint marks. Silicone seems to dissolve the ink. The marks also fade over time--then you just cut off the marked section and remark a new section ( after re-tieing your permanent leader butt or braided butt section back on). It wud be nice if all the mfrs. wud mark their lines with printed data like Cortland did on their Lazerlines.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 08:34 PM   #26
pbourcq
Native

I just remember mine as well. I know guys that use the lines on the line with a sharpie. I have had stickers swell up and goop up the reel. Competing I only use one line and its always the same. So I only need to know about 6-7 different reels.

In my lake reel box I have about 9 different lines for lakes but I use airflo lines and I know the colors

green type 3

blue type 5

black type 7 and so on....not to bad.

www.turningstonesflyfishing.com

www.usyouthflyfishingteam.com
pbourcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 08:37 PM   #27
Kent
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
It wud be nice if all the mfrs. wud mark their lines with printed data like Cortland did
Only thing is then I have to put on my glasses to read that fine print. The marks I can see easily even in low light.

Lewdogg, just sounds like you don't have enough equipment to me.

Not many of us as sharp as you - tell me how you differentiate between WF & DT on 4 wt....
Old 11-16-11, 08:26 AM   #28
nielson
Native

Kent,
In my case it doesn't matter as I have no DT line. Furthermore I don't have anything less than a 5wt and only a couple of those. However, I posed the question because I suspect a bunch here do.

Best I can come up with is to just tie an overhand knot in the line either behind or in front of the marks. Of course, for those unfamiliar with the overhand knot, a different colored sharpie might be almost as good. Although you do have to deal with that fading and low light issue whereas it's pretty hard to miss that knot.

Glad I could help. Jim
nielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 04:04 PM   #29
Tomcoo2
Native

Default Line weights

I just take a small strip of paper and write the line weight on It with a sharpie. Then I scotch tape it to the rod side of the reel mount. Or, if I have multiple spools, I do the same in the inside of the spool. It holds up better than you might think. Sometimes I have to trim the tape to keep it inside the edges of the reel seat.
Tomcoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 07:09 PM   #30
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

I have the Grey's cartridge reel with extra spools and it has a spool marking system for your lines. My nymph reels are easy to remember.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote