NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-11, 08:29 AM   #1
Myhubbylovesflyfishing
Stocker

Default I need help buying my husband a cane rod

Has anyone ever heard of Wagnerrods.com and know whether they are good or not? My husband has been talking about wanting a cane rod for years, and I'd like to get him one. My budget is around $800, which makes finding one very difficult. Wagner Rods has the Patriot Series, which fits my budget. Can someone please let me know if it is worth the money? Does anyone have any other suggestions? http://www.wagnerrods.com/patriot.html

Also, my husband loves to fish Dukes Creek. Would the 6' 3" 3-4 wt be good for that stream or should I go with something else?
Please help!
Myhubbylovesflyfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 08:40 AM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Welcome to NGTO! I do not have any personal knowledge about Mr. Wagner's fly rods, but I am assume he is a competant rod maker who makes a serviceable fly rod. But I would certainly shy away from getting your husband a 6 foot 3 weight if this will be his go-to Dukes creek rod. Short taper fly rods are great for small stream fishing, but it will have limited applications elsewhere. My recommendation would be to get him a longer rod as it will be more vesitle (my choice would be the 7' 9" 5 weight if you are going with one of these Wagner Patriot series rods.)

PS: have you considered a used Orvis bamboo rod? You can pick up a very nice 2 tip Battenkill easily within your price range.

PSS: here is a mint condition 8 foot Battenkill that is just a two hundred bucks north of your budget. Wagner rods will never be considered a collectible rod. However, this Orvis will never go down in value as it is considered a classic. http://www.westslopefly.com/rods/dsp....cfm?rodID=140

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Buck Henry; 12-06-11 at 08:47 AM.
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 09:22 AM   #3
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

I agree with Buck about that Orvis rod he linked. It is in new condition and will always hold it's value. It is a good size for Dukes Creek also. I have a 7 1/2' Battenkill that Buck helped find for my wife to give me. I did do a search on Wagner Rods and the maker Jeff Wagner has an excellent reputation. He gets little recognition because he is a low production operation that you don't hear much about. I did a Yahoo Search on "Wagner Bamboo Rods" and the 3rd listing down is a positive discussion of him and his rods on Clarks Classic Forum. Problem is---at that time, there was a one year wait for one of his rods. That may well be the case now. Often the bamboo ads you find on a web search don't relay any info about how long the waiting list is. Hope this helps.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 09:23 AM   #4
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Tricky Business

Buying someone else a rod of any kind, and especially bamboo, is akin to buying someone shoes. There are so many options that picking the right blend is almost impossible. However all is not lost. If I might offer an alternative solution, go to any good shop that sells fly fishing equipment and buy him a rod tube. Most bamboos never go beyond 7.5 feet and are in two pieces, so a 48" tube will work. Inside the tube, create your own "gift certificate" using a wooden yard stick and write out your to, from, what and how much on the yard stick. Then when he finds his rod, you pay for it, he has a case for it and everybody's happy.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 09:46 AM   #5
narcodog
Native

The rod that Buck linked to is a very nice rod. I fish the same rod that was made in 1953 and it will handle most water that he will fish. Last year I landed a 22in Brown in the Catskills with it and a 24 in Bow on the Madison in Montana using silk line and a vintage reel.

The one thing I noticed on that rod is that it was listed in 2009 so maybe you can get a better deal. The value of the rod is really in the $6-700.00 dollar range.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 09:53 AM   #6
Buck Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
The one thing I noticed on that rod is that it was listed in 2009 so maybe you can get a better deal. The value of the rod is really in the $6-700.00 dollar range.
Agreed, this guy tends to ask a premium for his stuff as it is usually top shelf and this rod appears to be in unused condition. I would definitely offer him less; maybe $800?

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Old 12-06-11, 10:13 AM   #7
STIXMAGILL
Native

Default If things dont work out

If things don't work out between you and your husband, look me up! I've been looking for a woman like you my entire life!

All kidding aside, good advise has been delivered. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Stixmagill

www.SouthHolstonRiver.com

http://www.facebook.com/SouthHolstonRivercom
STIXMAGILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 10:59 AM   #8
Myhubbylovesflyfishing
Stocker

Default Thanks for all of the help!

I really appreciate all of the advice.

I do like the idea of trying to find a used Orvis bamboo rod. I emailed the link that Buck Henry sent, so hopefully I'll hear back. Thanks for also letting me know how much to offer becuase I have no clue, and I definitely don't won't to get ripped off.
I saw a used one on EBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORVIS-BAMBOO...item2569ee09d0
Is it a good one?
Does anyone know where else I can search for used rods?
Thanks again!
Myhubbylovesflyfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 11:06 AM   #9
narcodog
Native

If you go here http://www.clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com you can always find quality rods for sale.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 11:09 AM   #10
Buck Henry

I would shy away from buying a cane rod off of ebay. Stick to the reputable dealers like West Slope or from someone over on the Classic Rod forum (link that Narcodog provided) as their is a much lower risk of getting something that is not in the condition that they said it was.

A few more reputable dealers to check out:

http://www.northwestclassictackle.com/

http://home.comcast.net/~splitcane/

http://www.ricksrods.com/

And do a google search for Coldwater Collectibles as he usually has some nice stuff.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Buck Henry; 12-06-11 at 11:20 AM.