NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-11, 02:06 PM   #11
KBProctor
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Buying someone else a rod of any kind, and especially bamboo, is akin to buying someone shoes. There are so many options that picking the right blend is almost impossible. However all is not lost. If I might offer an alternative solution, go to any good shop that sells fly fishing equipment and buy him a rod tube. Most bamboos never go beyond 7.5 feet and are in two pieces, so a 48" tube will work. Inside the tube, create your own "gift certificate" using a wooden yard stick and write out your to, from, what and how much on the yard stick. Then when he finds his rod, you pay for it, he has a case for it and everybody's happy.
This is very true. I am probably going to be very borderline with this post, so please forgive any line straddling I may do concerning the rules.

I build rods for a living and can honestly say that you could probably get away with buying your husband a graphite rod for a gift without making a horrid mistake. I sell graphite rods as gifts frequently. A bamboo rod is another story. There are many nuances to bamboo accounted for with the many different tapers available to choose from. There are some solid tapers that would be a great starting point for him, but I agree that a 7' to 8' rod in a #5 line would be a good choice. It would be hard to go wrong with one of the Leonard tapers in that range.

A high quality custom built bamboo rod can be had NEW well within your budget and tailored specifically to your husband. If you are spending that much money on a rod of any kind, it should be with someone you are comfortable with and that will listen to what you and your husband want.

The rod tube idea is an excellent one. It is possible that a rod could be completed before Christmas, but why rush it and wind up with something that may or may not suit him? This can be a gift that will be treasured for the rest of his life or it can be another fly rod. As a guy, I know I would love specifying my wants and desires to someone for something made just for me.
Old 12-06-11, 06:23 PM   #12
Tomek
Native

Not sure how particular your hubby is with gifts, but I'll put in my 2 cents:

I am very picky with my toys - fly fishing gear included. My fiance has attempted to surprise me with fly fishing gear in the past and every single time I appreciated the thought and went to exchange the gift for something else. I'll give an example. I mentioned one time that I needed a new fishing vest, so she got me one. It was not exactly the one I wanted so I exchanged it (plus added some of my $$$) to get the one I did want.

Anywho, if my fiance was to tell me that she has a $800 budget for a fly fishing gift for me, I'd be jumping up and down with joy...but I would DEFINITELY want to guide her in EXACTLY what to buy.

Just some food for thought.
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 11:22 AM   #13
Pittard
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek View Post
Not sure how particular your hubby is with gifts, but I'll put in my 2 cents:

I am very picky with my toys - fly fishing gear included. My fiance has attempted to surprise me with fly fishing gear in the past and every single time I appreciated the thought and went to exchange the gift for something else. I'll give an example. I mentioned one time that I needed a new fishing vest, so she got me one. It was not exactly the one I wanted so I exchanged it (plus added some of my $$$) to get the one I did want.

Anywho, if my fiance was to tell me that she has a $800 budget for a fly fishing gift for me, I'd be jumping up and down with joy...but I would DEFINITELY want to guide her in EXACTLY what to buy.

Just some food for thought.
I second this thought. I'm a picky person and my wife knows never to buy me anything that can't be returned. If he has wanted one for years I'm sure he has something in mind. I don't want to downplay what you are doing though...He will be one happy man come Christmas Morning.

On a side note with an $800 budget if your husband likes to grill/smoke/bbq and he doesn't have a Big Green Egg you can surprise him with that and it's guaranteed he will be happy.

Good luck and hope he gets you something equally as nice.
Pittard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 12:27 PM   #14
Jackster
Native

I just had to look in here.
The topic in the main title page said, "I need help buying my husband".
I knew I wouldn't be any help but just had to see what all of the responses were!
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 02:40 PM   #15
raptor
Native

Default Here's another idea

This is something I'm hoping for in my Christmas stocking. A few days of fly fishing at some great location. With $800 you could really get some good guided trips in N. Ga, N. Carolina, etc.. Or, buy a ticket to Denver for around $300 (would have to select an appropriate date), a rental car with still some money to help with a hotel and say:
"a few days of fishing in paradise"... From Denver (or other locations) you can drive in almost any direction and be fishing some outstanding rivers/streams in few hours.
This would really make any flyfishin' hubby very, very happy..
raptor
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-11, 04:55 PM   #16
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

A 7 1/2 to 8 foot 5 or 6 weight with a rod weight less than 4 1/2 ounces would be a good versatile rod. A short 3 weight is a specalty rod. I have one but it is down the list on my go-to rods.

Absolutely avoid ebay. The seller not only has to be a good seller but also very knowledgable about cane rods and you would have to know what you are looking at.

Cordela's is a good source and Len is square. The Critchfield P.Y. Perfectionist he has listed looks good (#13366) It's a new rod too. I've gotten a couple rods and reels from Len, one of them a Critchfield and was pleased with Len and the deals.
http://www.codella.com/binventory.htm

Coldwater Collectables is another reputable dealer. He's got a couple in youyr price range. http://coldwatercollectibles.com/classics.html

You're a sweet gal and he's a lucky guy. Merry Christmas
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-11, 05:03 PM   #17
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Question A Request

For "myhubbylovesfishing", if you decide to buy him a rod or set-up, would you please come back and let us know how he likes it? Thanks!
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-11, 05:21 PM   #18
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Yeah, I am dying to know what she ended up getting him!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-11, 08:41 PM   #19
jonmo
Native

Post Whatcha Get em?

JOHNKIES/Buck - I'm wondering what she decided on as well..Looking forward to getting details..Hmm, makes me think maybe I should work on a new purchase myself (a guy can dream right)..

Tight lines!!

Doc

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-11, 07:08 PM   #20
kellymm
Native

Jeff Wagner is one of the best modern day rod makers . He has been out there forging his craft long before many of the newer guys . Ask me how I know
kellymm is offline   Reply With Quote