NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-12, 01:59 AM   #1
carl_weis2000
Native

Default where do you get your flies from?

Hi everyone, for those of you that don't tie your own where have you found the best place to pick up your flies at? Online, shops, or friends and have you noticed a real difference between store bought and hand tied? I have a some flies that were hand tied by a friend up in Newfoundland Canada, and some that were store bought from Bass Pro and some small shops in NY. Since I live in Columbus GA there arent any Fly shops that I've seen down here or been able to find. Thanks so much for your response. If I posted this in the wrong section I apologize this is my first posting on here.
carl_weis2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 07:47 AM   #2
RobG4
Native

You can find all the flies you need from the sponsors on this board such as:

Caylor Custom Flies

Unicoi Outfitters

The Fish Hawk

Cohutta Fishing Company

All of the above either have online stores or will ship you flies.
RobG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 08:03 AM   #3
SpeyBro
Native

Default RipLips

I too don't tie and in addition to the places mentioned above, where I've bought and been pleased with my purchases, will add RipLipsfishing.com. It was mentioned on the comp site TroutLegend and those guys know their stuff. At RipLips look at their tungsten beaded-nymph assortment set----having gotten it and been pleased with it, and as spoken about on another NGTO thread recently on painting flys----one can take a Sharpie to them and end up with a pretty nice faux custom fly.
Old 03-04-12, 08:25 AM   #4
Da Da's Fishing
Internet Technologies Officer, Director, Hall of Fame Member

Roger Caylor supplies most of my bulk stuff. You also cant go wrong with the local shops and their vast knowledge.

DDF
Old 03-04-12, 11:04 AM   #5
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

And for warm water, here are a couple fly names that may be new to you.

Carter's Rubber Legged Dragon (RLD) (usually in sz 8 & 10). Killer for panfish and sometimes bass.

Kent's Stealth Bomber (usually sz 6. Casts fine on a 5wt) is a secret weapon for bass and bream (collective colloquial name for bluegill, redear, green, etc.). Great by itself, and does double-duty with an RLD dropped off the SB.

Graig Riendeau's Hairy Fodder (Usually sz 4, and way above 5wt-friendly!) is a bass magnet.

I figure the trout flies will come easily, but these are relatively new, local, and wildly effective.
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 11:46 PM   #6
carl_weis2000
Native

Default Awesome!

DAAAANG thanks so much for the links and the lowdown on all these flys. I knew when I moved I'd have to add to my fly box and I really wanted some real world opinions on where and what I should use before laying down 40-50bucks, normally wouldnt be a issue but just had a 2700dollar repair on my truck tranny (4months out of warranty) ahhhh lol.

Also my father is sending me a old Loomis custom 7wt fly rod that was setup for drift river fishing and worked out great but has normal hoop guides, I was wanting to get that changed over to snake guides. I think it would be a great heavier rod. Also sending me an older scientific angler that I'm gonna throw on it, or my flueger reel thats already loaded. Figure that from what I read it will be a usable setup near buford dam?
Old 03-05-12, 12:16 AM   #7
carl_weis2000
Native

Default distance

I just checked The Fish Hawk is the closest to me and since I am off all this week I am going to try and get on up there and grab some of those warmwater flies to hit the flint with when this weather clears up and the river slows down a bit.
Old 03-05-12, 08:32 AM   #8
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Carl,

the fly shop at Callaway Gardens usually has a good selection of warm water flies. It's been awhile since I've been in there but it might save you a long drive.

Kent Edmonds (Kent) here on the message board could probably tell you what they have available.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 09:00 AM   #9
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

D'oh! Thanks, Drifter! I plumb forgot.

Phone before you drive.... Kingfisher Outfitters at 706-663-5142.

http://www.callawaygardens.com/resor...ing-trips.aspx
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:48 PM   #10
carl_weis2000
Native

Default That is muuuch closer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
D'oh! Thanks, Drifter! I plumb forgot.

Phone before you drive.... Kingfisher Outfitters at 706-663-5142.

http://www.callawaygardens.com/resor...ing-trips.aspx
Awesome, my fiancee's granny is putting us on her guest list at Callaway, I never even know there was fishing there! I'm gonna go check that shop out! COOOOOOL!!!! I have to pick up so new float line to replace the cheapy stuff that came on my hobbs creek bargin bin reel.