NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-12, 10:45 AM   #1
Default Beginner Fly Tying

What do yall think would be an adequate beginner tying kit? I've seen quite a few different companies who make these "beginner kits" but I want to get the most bang for my buck, but also looking to stay in the range of +/- $100.

Any tips or hints would be much appreciated! Thanks
fishing603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 11:33 AM   #2
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I'm not sure of the price but Unicoi Outfitters, (one our fine sponsors), used to build kits for tyers. It used the materials that you would need to tie flies specific to this area, and those materials were top shelf, not seconds like some kits include. Check out their website

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 11:57 AM   #3

The last time I was in Unicoi Outfitters. They had one ready to go. I second fishnpreacher on the quality of their stuff. Top notch.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-12, 06:13 PM   #4
W. Donald Newton
Post Do not buy a kit, unless ...

... the guys at Unicoi make one up specifically for your needs. Invest your money in a quality tools and vicse. Then purchase only those materials to tye the flies you want to tye. Do one or two patterns per week and build your experience. If possible, take a fly-tying course, well worth the fee for the shortened learning curve.
Cheers, Don
W. Donald Newton is offline   Reply With Quote

beginner, fly, kit, tying