NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-12, 10:44 AM   #1
BlueAssassin
Native

Default Waders: Orvis vs. Simms vs. Patagonia?

So I'm also shopping for waders. Any strong opinions - for or against - these brands?

1. Orvis
2. Patagonia
3. Simms

Thanks!

BlueAssassin
BlueAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:35 AM   #2
RobG4
Native

Simms if you're paying retail.

Patagonia if you find it on clearance.

Orvis if you're looking for a budget option.
RobG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:40 AM   #3
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

A lot of us comp guys are using the new Reddington Sonic Pros and love them. They are very well built with a lot of great features. Don't have the zipper front ones, but I hear they are very good too.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:47 AM   #4
BlueAssassin
Native

Does that mean that Patagonia is your preferred, but just too expensive?
Old 07-27-12, 01:07 PM   #5
RobG4
Native

I think a lot of folks will tell you Simms is the top dog for the money. Only reason I see to buy Patagonia over Simms is if you find Patagonia on clearance and save a couple hundred bucks.

Patagonia is undoubtedly well made but is pricey and suffers from being a fashion statement.

I've never met a professional guide who wore anything other than Simms.
RobG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 01:28 PM   #6
Baldy
Native

I bought my patagonias on clearance 6 years ago and am still using them with no problems. I regularly fish the hootch and n. ga. streams. They are expensive, but if you can find them on clearance, they are well worth it. Otherwise, I agree with what the others have said.
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 06:55 PM   #7
Troutbum120189
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbum120189

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAssassin View Post
So I'm also shopping for waders. Any strong opinions - for or against - these brands?

1. Orvis
2. Patagonia
3. Simms

Thanks!

BlueAssassin
Please do not make the mistake of buying Orvis waders. Orvis is an 85% company. 85% of the time, they get things right. But there is that 15% that just keeps us guessing. But do you really want to buy your waders from a place that sells dog beds and women's clothing?... I mean, if you do any cold weather fishing, the last thing you want/need are waders that you can't depend on.

Saying that, You will not have to buy the most expensive pair of Simms to have a pair of waders that are dependable. If you want a pair under 300, get the freestone stocking foots. They have double re-inforced knees (important for kneeling in streams when you're posing for that photo) and are an all around great wader. However, my recommendation is to purchase the G3 guide stocking foot waders. I have had these things for years. I slide down banks on my you know what, climb over logs, fish from my knees when I have to, and I have never had an issue. At $449.00, they can be a bit pricey. But as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. These waders, for the price, will be the best thing you can get.

As far as Patagonia goes: They make great products. They make great looking products. They charge an insane amount for their products. Just check out the prices on their organic t-shirts, and you'll see what I mean.

Saying this, their products are made very well and will last a long time. I'm partial to Simms, however, and so are most all serious guides that I have met.

I hope this slightly sarcastic/heart felt effort has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions concerning gear. I put my gear through a lot, and I have always been extremely impressed with Simms gear.

Langdon Attaway
Matthew 4:19 - Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." (20) At once they left their nets and followed him.

There is even greater fishing than fly-fishing... And an even greater reward!

Romans 10:9-10
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Troutbum120189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 11:51 AM   #8
"Two Vices"
Stocker

THEY ALL LEAK!!!
Old 07-29-12, 04:15 PM   #9
cucarachafly

Well it's like this, Orvis was quite kind to send me a new pair of brand new waders 3 times when a pair of there's starting leaking. But after switching over to Simms about about 4 years ago, I can't say the same for them. But that could be because that pair hasn't sprung a leak yet!! And my credit is just too bad to obtain a loan for a pair of Patagonia waders.
Old 07-29-12, 07:27 PM   #10
DavyKnot

The Redington (Sage/Rio) warranty guys asked me if the hole in the knee of my waders was a factory defect, or if it was my fault. I told them it was my fault. They replaced them anyway. Upgrade!