NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-12, 11:03 PM   #11
Troutbum120189
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbum120189

Upon further examination, the Simms G3 Guide Waders and the Patagonia Rio Gallegos waders are evenly priced MSRP. The Patagonia waders look slick, which is expected from Patagonia, but I think they would be a safe bet as well. Check local fly shops and see what prices are on waders. You may be able to get either of these at a good price.

If you're not wanting to spend 450, I would stick with Simms otherwise. I looked at Patagonia's Rio Azul waders (240$) and they look like a glorified lightweight rain jacket with neoprene booties...
Matthew 4:19 - Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." (20) At once they left their nets and followed him.

There is even greater fishing than fly-fishing... And an even greater reward!

Romans 10:9-10
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Last edited by Troutbum120189; 07-29-12 at 11:30 PM.
Troutbum120189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 11:49 PM   #12
driftwood
Native

I have also heard bad things about the orvis waders. I think the patagonia and simms are priced relatively the same though. YOu can get patagonia's for 1/2 during their two annual sales. they have a real nice wool insulation in the booties.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-12, 09:38 AM   #13
BlueAssassin
Native

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll let you know what Dad and I decide on.
Old 07-31-12, 10:41 AM   #14
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

If could save up the bucks I would go Simms.

Next would be The Redington Sonics, just cause I have so many good things about them.

I had a pair of Patagonia Guide waders and they leaked after a year and I was not pleased with the customer service.

Last 3 years I have had a pair of Orvis Pro Guides. 3 yrs and they have been replaced twice with a new pair cause of crotch seam leaks. I stay with Orvis cause of the customer service I get from Shannon and the folks at Orvis. In the past I take in leaky waders to the store and walk out with new pair. This last time I had to pay $25-30 and they were sent off, but in a couple weeks I received a new pair in the mail. Fortunately I had a older pair of Hodgeman waders that had some slow seam leaks that was was able to use while the Orvis waders were out for repair. If that is Orvis's new replacement / repair policy I will be rethinking my next wader purchase.

The other thing to keep in mind, is the Orvis Sonic weld seam waders. Another that has gotten very good reviews. Shannon at Buckhead Orvis indicated that he has abused his to death and they are still holding up strong. Shannon is a salesman but not a used car salesman and I trust his advice. He also indicated that the next generation of the Pro Guides with Sonic Welds are in the testing phase.

Just my .02c
Old 07-31-12, 01:17 PM   #15
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Simms...

$...return policy...customer service...reputation

(based entirely upon my own personal experience)

Tight Lines!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 09:50 AM   #16
mbeam621
Native

Default Made In AMERICA!

SIMMS! There is no other choice in my book. They put the extra effort into making the best waders on the market in my opinion. The Gortex material is by far the best on the market. Its not about will my waders leak, it WHEN. ALL waders will leak over a period of time. That period of time with Simms just happens to be quite a bit longer. Look at the Simms Headwaters waders, and Simms G3s. Priced right for great quality.
Old 08-01-12, 11:45 PM   #17
DavyKnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowStreamer View Post
Shannon at Buckhead Orvis indicated that he has abused his to death and they are still holding up strong. Shannon is a salesman but not a used car salesman and I trust his advice. He also indicated that the next generation of the Pro Guides with Sonic Welds are in the testing phase.

Just my .02c
Ha! Shannon is a TRIP!!!
Old 08-03-12, 10:58 AM   #18
Rockyraccoon
Native

Send a message via ICQ to Rockyraccoon

Simms.

If your anything more than a 2 - 3 times a year angler.....get the simms.

Someone already mentioned that all waders will leak eventually. But the difference is long term durability. Simms break in and break down period is just flat out longer than others. Great customer service too boot.

I can't talk bad about Orvis customer service as they have always taken care of me.....but the Simms waders should keep you away from any CSR for a long time.

www.rockytopanglers.com
Rockyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 01:20 PM   #19
Jackster
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG4 View Post

Patagonia... suffers from being a fashion statement.
and Simms doesn't?

I like my Simms but got spoiled by Cloudveil waders. They slip on and off as though they have Teflon innards and have 4 waterproof zippered that didn't cost me $100.00 each for the priveledge of having them! I hope they never die!
I've had too many Orvis waders but only because their warranty was so good. That was years ago when all breathable waders were in their infancy and all breathable waders leaked... even Simms. After a while I just asked for my money back from Orvis and bought Simms. I have two pair of Simms that serve me well but when the 'G' series came out in the prices they asked I lost interest in Simms. Zippers don't cost $300.00 to put on any waders I would ever own. Oh, and Simms makes ladies clothes and expensive T-Shirts too, just like Orvis!
If my Cloudveils ever give up the ghost I think my next pair will be Patagonia. Patagonia has always had a good guarentee and definately knows how to make clothing that is built right for the specific uses intended. My original SST jacket was so well designed that Simms had to clone it! My Patagonia foul weather gear allowed me to cinch out any weather yet allowed for good peripheral vision and great freedom of movement, just like the SST jackets. I have no doubt at all that Patagonia has figured out by now what is needed to make a great pair of waders in every respect. I just have to watch for them to change the color of the lining or something like that to get them at 50% off!
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 03:28 PM   #20
JCK76
Native

We're all fans of our choices I guess. Shannon down sold me on the Sonic Seam travel waders saying he wanted me to have the best technology they offered. Have fished them two to three times a week for a year and the only leak was when I hooked a Bugger into the leg. I've fallen to my knees on gravel and scraped many a rock. Find the weight fine for our weather in GA and the fit and comfort are fine. I like the way they pack down to almost nothing. I also own Simms' products which I am happy to rave over (that is some wading staff - Shannon again, "The only thing that could be better about that staff is if it said Orvis on it." ) and there's probably some Patagonia around somewhere. All good recommendations based on considerations of sales, price and service. I just recommend going to a store and trying each of them on, happy is what works for you.
JCK76 is offline   Reply With Quote