NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-12, 09:51 AM   #1
TroutTackler
Native

Default Dukes Tackle + Tactics

The trophy section of Dukes Creek in Smithgall Woods is one of the best, and definitely among the most challenging, trout streams in the South. Many anglers from all over are drawn in by its combination of low cost (just the cost of a parking pass), accessibility, pristine water, and the possibility of tangling with a big rainbow or brown trout in a small stream setting.

Since there always seems to be someone here on NGTO asking about Dukes, I'd like to suggest adding a sticky to this forum that includes some suggestions that might lead to increased success here.

I'm definitely not the best Dukes angler around. But I do know and have fished with several who have done very well on this water. Based on what I've learned from them, here's what I would suggest (and for those of you who are successful there, please add your knowledge to this thread):

1. It is imperative to stay out of sight of the fish at Dukes. If you can see them, they have already seem you! Wear dark/drab clothing, even camo, move slowly and stay low. Fish UPSTREAM to fish who are looking into the current. If you're behind them, they likely won't see you!

2. Dukes Creek generally has two faces:

A. When the water is low and clear: When conditions are like this, you need to go "long and light" to have success. Practically this means using long, light leaders (9-12-feet down to 5X, 6X or sometimes even 7X... Yikes!). You'll also need to downsize your fly selections in most cases. Flies like Zebra Midges, Disco Midges, WD-40s, or Soft-Hackle Pheasant Tails in sizes 18-22 can be good choices. If you need to use a strike indicator, keep it small, as well.

B. When the water is high and muddy: When conditions are like this, most people with reservations to fish Dukes will turn around and go home because, "There's no way you can catch a fish in chocolate milk!" When, in fact, for a lot of Dukes regulars, these are the prime big-fish conditions! And you can just about throw out suggestion number one and 2(A)! The big fish typically move out of the deep holes and runs where they usually sit and spread out into the areas that are usually low and wide to get out of the surging current that is now rushing through those deeper areas. In short, where you're usually wading when it's low is where big fish should be holding during high and muddy conditions. For leaders and flies, these conditions call for "big and ugly"! You can fish just about any leader you'd like (why not go 0X and take some stress out of your day? also, keep it shorter... something like a 7' works well) and now is the time to bust out the huge streamers. Big size 2-6 woolly buggers in white, purple, black or olive are great. Sculpin patters, rainbow trout patterns (if you're searching for a big brown), articulated patterns... You get it. And add plenty of split shot about ten inches from your fly to sink the fly in the fast water.

You need a valid Georgia fishing license and trout stamp AND a reservation to fish this portion of Dukes (which is broken up into four beats/sections). The stream is open to a limited number of anglers on Sundays, Wednesdays and Saturdays all year. To make a reservation, call (706) 878-3087.
My Facebook

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 10-20-12 at 11:00 PM. Reason: No longer a sticky suggestion :)
TroutTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 09:54 AM   #2
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Great suggestions. Also great to see you back.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I can’t be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 10:51 AM   #3
TroutTackler
Native

Thanks - I've got a few days off of work to help with our new daughter, so I've been looking around here a little bit for the first time in a while!
My Facebook
TroutTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 12:01 PM   #4
Fishbreath
Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via AIM to Fishbreath

good general guidelines. I will say however that fly selection plays a backseat role to patience and presentation. Patience in that those fish will eventually get used to your pressence and will settle back down. Presentation in that you've gotta have a good drag free drift.

some more good info: http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=3184&cid=124

Landon

Last edited by Fishbreath; 12-20-12 at 08:31 PM.
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 11:29 PM   #5
Kelboski
Native

Patience.

Kelbo
Old 10-20-12, 10:08 PM   #6
bigorangefan
Native

Location: Alpharetta physically, standing in a stream mentally
Cool Probably the best on fishing Dukes-

Probably the bist tip on fishing dukes - Try not to fish after Kelly, Hoochbuster, Landon, Simmsflyguy or Creech!

Last edited by bigorangefan; 11-04-12 at 05:21 PM.
bigorangefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 11:36 PM   #7
SimmsFlyGuy
Native

Patience!
Old 10-21-12, 12:28 PM   #8
HoochBuster
Native

7x? Wow, I have never gone heavier than 8x at dukes...
Good tips.
HoochBuster
Old 11-10-12, 09:40 PM   #9
obsteaks
Native

thanks david....ps...your book is fabulous; I use it as a fly fishing reference. I have yet to fish Dukes but it is on my bucket list. tell chad hello

obs
obsteaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 11:14 AM   #10
N.GA Rookie
Native

Thanks David...tips appreciated to someone who has definitely scared more than i have hooked at Dukes...so true about the "stealth" things...this fly fishing will definitely teach you long-suffering

"Embrace the day and Enjoy the Journey"!
Phil. 3:13,14 ..."
…reaching forward to those things which are ahead”…
N.GA Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote