NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Lost & Found
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-12, 12:05 PM   #1
Warmouth
Native

Default Stolen Drift Boat!

I recently had my McKenzie style driftboat stolen and am desperate to recover it. I have pictures of it, posted at http://dominionproject.wordpress.com...t-boatanother/.
It was stolen from Callaway Gardens and was last seen being towed behind a small white pickup on October 2, 2012. This boat and trailer are very, very special to me as they are one-of-a-kind hand-built originals. At first glance it looks like a wooden boat because it has wooden gunnels but it is actually fiberglass. I have a very strong sentimental attachment to this boat and trailer because I built it with my dad way back in 1995. It was the last project that he and I did together before he passed away. My hope was to share many days fly fishing with my 13 year old son in it and pass it along to him someday.
Those who are familiar with the different brands of driftboats will recognize that it is a little different than any of them. The boat is 15’ 10” stem to stern and 54” wide on the bottom. The interior is laid out to put the maximum amount of distance between the two anglers. It has a shorter front casting deck than most and more distance between the oarsman and the front caster. When it was stolen it was white and royal blue and had “Coosa River Drifters” in white letters along the sides, although that can be easily changed. It has a small storage opening in the front deck, level non-skid floors, a storage box under the rowing seat, wooden gunnels, a foot release anchor system, two drain plugs in the transom, and a drain plug under the rowing seat. The front seat pedestal is fiberglass and looks exactly like an upside down Rubbermaid container because that is what I used for a mold. It had grey and blue seats when stolen. There are lots of scratches and gouges in the chines and bottom from many years of scraping rocks. The floors have a rougher texture than most boats. The rowing seat rests on two shelves that run along the inside of the boat, and those shelves have little compartments to keep accessories in.
The trailer looks like a standard driftboat trailer except that it has a square tube axle and bolt-on rotors from an automobile. The full length roller across the back is larger in diameter than most and was a roller from a conveyer of some sort. The trailer was in grey primer when stolen.
You can read more about how and why I built the boat at http://dominionproject.wordpress.com...g-stuff-boats/ and see a video with several pictures and scenes of it at http://dominionproject.wordpress.com...e-coosa-river/. If anyone has any information about this boat, if you see it on the river or for sale somewhere, or see it being towed, PLEASE pass along any information you may have (tag # etc). I will grant total amnesty just to get it back. You can call me at work at three-three-four-seven-four-five-two-four-six-four or e mail me at: tcs (dot) cawarmouth @ bellsouth (dot) net.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 12:34 PM   #2
derricko1
Native

Oh my God...that makes me sick to my stomach. I'm so sorry to hear that.
derricko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 01:34 PM   #3
Jimmy Harris
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

Carl, I just put your story up on our Face Book page. Hope it helps track your boat down.
Jimmy Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 02:40 PM   #4
Warmouth
Native

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Any way that anyone can help get the word out through club meetings or anything would be really appreciated. I literally wake up throughout the night distraught over this.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Old 10-26-12, 03:18 PM   #5
Moye
Native

All FLFA members have gotten an email with your post. I sure hope you find your boat soon. What a treasure!
Moye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 03:31 PM   #6
Warmouth
Native

Thank you Moye. That's good of you.

Old 10-26-12, 05:56 PM   #7
THE EG
Emperor of the Galactic Empire , Chief Financial Officer, Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via ICQ to THE EG
Angry

I would hope folks affiliated with other message boards would post this throughout the US so no matter where they go, somebody notices.

Anytime a new drift boat shows up people notice. And that one is pretty unique. The cutout cupholder, the retangular cubby holes, etc.

Cut and paste this:

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...eferrerid=7292
Old 10-27-12, 08:15 AM   #8
fishtacos
Native

That's terrible. Best of luck.
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 10:18 AM   #9
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default More ID

More ID would be useful, for example the license plate from the trailer and the SN if available as well as the GA registration number from the boat. As you built it, doubtful a SN, but did you leave any indelible unique ID like with a wood workers branding iron? For my vehicles, I always drop a plastic laminated business card down inside the driver's door. Just in case.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 11:36 AM   #10
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Just embedding photos of the boat into the thread:

ETA: Johnkies, no license plate required for boat trailers in Alabama.

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 10-27-12 at 11:44 AM.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote